FORUMS: list search recent posts

Best headphones for around $150?

COW Forums : Audio Professionals

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>

John Moore
Re: Best headphones for around $150?
on Sep 12, 2010 at 1:17:51 am

The MDR7506 seems to be the "standard" for production sound here in the USA... A number of people also like the HD280, which seems to be the "standard" in Europe. I've used the MDR7506 for location sound over the last couple of years, and have a pair of the MDRV6's for in-studio/home use. I think the V6 isn't as accurate (ie it is a bit more boomy to my ears) as the 7506- but that's a personal opinion.

If you can try a pair on you'll be more aware of how they fit your head, and either would be a good choice.

John Moore
sound.flyingmonkeystudio.com

Return to posts index

Richard Crowley
on Sep 12, 2010 at 1:58:48 am

I will reinforce the fact that the Sony MDR-7506 are far and away the preferred headset for live production sound, at least in North America. And the Sennheiser HD280 in Europe.

You should be able to get TWO pair of MD-7506 for your $150. I just did better than that from an eBay seller in Hong Kong. I own several pair of 7506 and also some Sony MDR-V6 which are less $$$ and essentially indistinguishable.

Return to posts index

Ty Ford
on Sep 12, 2010 at 12:55:39 pm

Hello Mike and welcome to the Cow Audio Forum,

In line with John and Richard, the MDR7506 are in my kit. I also have the Audio Technica ATH- M50 I use mostly for the studio. They are closed back like the 7506, are a little larger with slightly cushier foam and don't have the familiar peak and bottom of the 7506. As a result they are more neutral sounding.

They also have a screw on/off 1/4", 1/8" adapter and coiled cord.

Want better production audio?: Ty Ford's Audio Bootcamp Field Guide

Return to posts index

mike albertini
on Sep 13, 2010 at 2:37:08 pm

Hi Ty,

Thanks for the feedback...Having had a look at the Audio Technica ATH- M50, I'm considering buying them, as I've read a few negative things about the Sony's...just a quick question...you say you use the Audio Technica mostly in the studio...I'll be using them mostly on location...Would they still be a good choice?

Thanks,

Mike

Return to posts index

Ty Ford
on Sep 13, 2010 at 3:07:34 pm

Hi Mike,

Yes the ATH-M50 are good in the field. The MDR7506 are smaller and take up less space when folded and not in use. The M50 fold the same way, but they are just a little bigger.

I like the M50 especially when I need to wear them for a long time. The EQ curve of thr 7506 are more fatiguing and my ears ring after wearing them a long time.

I have used them on location quite successfully, but habits are habits and they run deep. :)

Regards,

Ty Ford

Want better production audio?: Ty Ford's Audio Bootcamp Field Guide

Return to posts index

Brian Reynolds
on Sep 12, 2010 at 11:48:12 pm

I just recently got a pair of Sennheiser HD280 as the the old headphone were getting a bit knocked around over the years.
The coiled cord a plus, the sound isolation of the phones are great but this also has a negative side, you have to remove them to talk to the Cammo, I will probably go back to the old phones for news, fast shooting or less critical work.

The difference between Knowledge and Wisdom is... Knowledge is the knowing of facts.... Wisdom is the sensible application of good quality knowledge...

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]