FORUMS: list search recent posts

Digital Audio Recorder with clean variable speed playback?

COW Forums : Audio Professionals

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Matthew Abourezk
Digital Audio Recorder with clean variable speed playback?
on Sep 6, 2010 at 3:20:02 pm

Hi all,

I am on the hunt for a digital audio recorder that can playback at a slower speed without introducing digital artifacts.

The H4N that I currently own seems to add a stuttering to the playback. I need something that can playback cleanly.

Does this exist?

Thanks a bunch,
Matt

Talkingbox Digital Media Group, Inc.
http://www.talkingboxdmg.com
(203) 249-7718

Return to posts index

John Fishback
Re: Digital Audio Recorder with clean variable speed playback?
on Sep 6, 2010 at 3:45:56 pm

I've never seen one. If you need a slowed-down track do it in a DAW, bounce it and use that file for playback. An advantage of this approach would be you can pitch shift, too, if you don't want the pitch affected by the speed change.

John

MacPro 8-core 2.8GHz 8 GB RAM OS 10.5.8 QT7.6.4 Kona 3 Dual Cinema 23 ATI Radeon HD 3870, 24" TV-Logic Monitor, ATTO ExpressSAS R380 RAID Adapter, PDE enclosure with 8-drive 6TB RAID 5
FCS 3 (FCP 7.0.2, Motion 4.0.2, Comp 3.5.2, DVDSP 4.2.2, Color 1.5.2)

Pro Tools HD w SYNC IO & 192 Digital I/O, Yamaha DM1000, Millennia Media HV-3C, Neumann U87, Schoeps Mk41 mics, Genelec Monitors, PrimaLT ISDN

Return to posts index

Jean-Christophe Boulay
Re: Digital Audio Recorder with clean variable speed playback?
on Sep 8, 2010 at 5:34:39 pm

You need a recorder that will play back at altered speeds without degradation?

Ever heard of tape?

Seriously, I don't know of any portable digital recorder that does that and doubt any exist. It takes quite some horsepower to timestretch convincingly, especially in real time, and it's probably way down the list of features when designing a portable recorder.

I'd probably have a DAW running on a laptop to transfer from the H4N and treat it in that environment. Or record directly to the laptop, once it's there. Or record to an old Nagra you tripped over in the attic and record the output of that to digital.

How dramatically do you need to slow it down?

JC Boulay
Technical Director
Audio Z
Montreal, Canada
http://www.audioz.com

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]