FORUMS: list search recent posts

Recording Interior Car Scenes

COW Forums : Audio Professionals

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Rocco Forte
Recording Interior Car Scenes
on Aug 29, 2010 at 6:03:22 pm

What's the best way to eliminate interior driving noise when shooting scenes inside a car? Are they almost always ADR-ed? Or is it just like eliminating any other background noise whether it be shooting at an airport or a sports stadium?

What considerations do you make when planning for a driving shot?

Thank you.

Return to posts index

John Fishback
Re: Recording Interior Car Scenes
on Aug 29, 2010 at 7:40:30 pm

While this is best answered by someone doing location sound every day, my $.02 is road noise is rarely an issue. After all it's expected. With windows up most cars are quiet enough. Sound guys I've hired have used a Schoeps mk41 capsule with a special cable (whose #s I don't remember) mounting it to the rear mirror support. Two mic are used if there are two people in the scene. Although I've never tried it, I've heard of people using boundary effect mics, too. For me, the "sound" of a car interior (oddly hollow-ish) always bothers me so there's tweaking to do in post.

John

MacPro 8-core 2.8GHz 8 GB RAM OS 10.5.8 QT7.6.4 Kona 3 Dual Cinema 23 ATI Radeon HD 3870, 24" TV-Logic Monitor, ATTO ExpressSAS R380 RAID Adapter, PDE enclosure with 8-drive 6TB RAID 5
FCS 3 (FCP 7.0.2, Motion 4.0.2, Comp 3.5.2, DVDSP 4.2.2, Color 1.5.2)

Pro Tools HD w SYNC IO & 192 Digital I/O, Yamaha DM1000, Millennia Media HV-3C, Neumann U87, Schoeps Mk41 mics, Genelec Monitors, PrimaLT ISDN

Return to posts index

Ty Ford
on Aug 29, 2010 at 8:54:25 pm

Hello Rocco and welcome to the Cow Audio Forum.

The car is pulled up on a trailer called a process trailer and that's towed by a tow truck. That way the engine is not running and the supports provided by the process trailer make it easy to mount cameras and lights. Usually a walkie is tossed in the car so the director, who is in a car or on the trailer with a wireless audio/video feed can talk to the talent and the shooter.

Micing depends on # and position of actors, but body mics, hidden hypercardioids, lavs tricked out and attached to the roof liner, Sanken Cub 01 may be used.

Regards,

Ty Ford

Want better production audio?: Ty Ford's Audio Bootcamp Field Guide

Return to posts index

Brian Reynolds
on Aug 30, 2010 at 7:49:42 am

Here is a trick I have used on several occasions in helicopters, Use 2 mics... One mic on the talent the other a mic facing away from the talent and way out of shot. Both mics are recorded as separate signals and then in post prod. Track 2 the (FX track) is phased reversed and if needed EQ'd to BOOST the problem noise and mixed under track 1 the (dialogue track)to reduce the the background car noise.... Give it a try on a drive one day the results can be very useful.
This is the same principle of how a noise canceling mic works

The difference between Knowledge and Wisdom is... Knowledge is the knowing of facts.... Wisdom is the sensible application of good quality knowledge...

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]