FORUMS: list search recent posts

Connecting line level audio to DV camera

COW Forums : Audio Professionals

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Nathan Gilbert
Connecting line level audio to DV camera
on Aug 13, 2010 at 6:49:28 am

I'm sure this has been asked many times before but I couldn't find just what I was looking for. I would like to be able to convert from line level stereo RCA to a mic level mini TRS. I also want to make sure any DC from the camera is blocked (I don't have a particular camera in mind, but any in my price range (under $500) seem to just have a mic in if anything).

A few questions related to this:
Do I need a product that contains a ground loop eliminator?
Is there a product that does this with these connections? (I'm not against having to get extra cables or adapters, but the fewer I need the better).

Return to posts index

John Fishback
Re: Connecting line level audio to DV camera
on Aug 13, 2010 at 7:48:08 pm

You need a pad that attenuates line level to a lower mic level. These pads typically offer 50db of attenuation. I'm not sure you can buy a pad that will have the specific connections you need. Here's a thread that might help and here's a standalone pad (you'd need 2 for stereo) you could use. Either way would require some wiring skill on your part. Also, Google "direct box" which does the same job as a pad. Here's an example of one. Hopefully, someone has a recommendation of a product that does exactly what you need.

John

MacPro 8-core 2.8GHz 8 GB RAM OS 10.5.8 QT7.6.4 Kona 3 Dual Cinema 23 ATI Radeon HD 3870, 24" TV-Logic Monitor, ATTO ExpressSAS R380 RAID Adapter, PDE enclosure with 8-drive 6TB RAID 5
FCS 3 (FCP 7.0.2, Motion 4.0.2, Comp 3.5.2, DVDSP 4.2.2, Color 1.5.2)

Pro Tools HD w SYNC IO & 192 Digital I/O, Yamaha DM1000, Millennia Media HV-3C, Neumann U87, Schoeps Mk41 mics, Genelec Monitors, PrimaLT ISDN

Return to posts index

Richard Crowley
on Aug 15, 2010 at 2:24:37 am

"Do I need a product that contains a ground loop eliminator?"

That is a completely independent, separate question. Simply put, you need a ground loop eliminator IF you have a ground loop problem.

Perhaps you are looking for one of the audio interface boxes made by BeachTek, Juiced Link, Sign Video, and other companies. They accept line or mic level and have other various features depending on exactly what you need.

Return to posts index

Nathan Gilbert
on Aug 15, 2010 at 4:56:32 am

I looked at the the companies you mentioned and didn't see anything that quite fit what I was looking for. Sign Video has a product that comes close: http://www.signvideo.com/xlr-pro_xlr_adapter-audio-mixer.htm It has line/mic selection, voltage blocking, and stereo output. And while it has two inputs, it appears to be a mixer, where what I am looking for is something that takes a stereo input.

Return to posts index

Thax Clave
on Aug 17, 2010 at 12:41:07 pm

[Nathan Gilbert] "while it has two inputs, it appears to be a mixer, where what I am looking for is something that takes a stereo input."

That's how you'll get "stereo."

Feed the left channel of the line source into input 1 and the right channel of the line source into input 2.
Adjust the level controls and record the stereo source.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]