FORUMS: list search recent posts

Audio Mixer Recorder for Sports Video

COW Forums : Audio Professionals

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
James Carson
Audio Mixer Recorder for Sports Video
on Aug 11, 2010 at 11:46:11 pm

I am looking for an audio mixer/recorder option for sporting events we will be shooting for video. I would like the audio to be broadcast quality if possible in case it airs on tv in the future. It will be released on dvd for sure. We will be using it to mix crowd noise, mics, commentators, etc. and want the ability to edit the audio later which is why we want a recorder. Any ideas on a good mixer/recorder to use? Would something like the Fostex LR16 work or is that mainly for music use? I would say we want at least the ability to mix/record 12 tracks.

Return to posts index

Richard Crowley
Re: Audio Mixer Recorder for Sports Video
on Aug 12, 2010 at 12:24:10 am

Are you saying you want to record your 12 sources independently to separate tracks, or are you saying that you have up to 12 sources, but are mixing in real-time and need only 2-4 tracks of recording? If the former, then the LR16 seems like a reasonable solution (assuming it is within your budget). Else there are many smaller digital recorders available that can record the output of any mixer. Several smaller recorders also have the advantage of placement across/around a large sports venue that would be impractical or more expensive with hard-wired or wireless solutions.

No there are no fundamental properties of most audio equipment that makes them more suitable for music applications. Basically, audio is audio.

Return to posts index

Ty Ford
on Aug 12, 2010 at 1:23:44 am

Hello James and welcome to the Cow Audio Forum.

Richard is right, but a system that records polywave files is advantageous because you import one file that has all files in it. As a result, they come in all in sync at one time.

Regards,

Ty Ford

Want better production audio?: Ty Ford's Audio Bootcamp Field Guide

Return to posts index

James Carson
on Aug 12, 2010 at 3:49:11 am

A system that does poly wave files sounds like what I am looking for. We will be mixing around 12 tracks live, and want the capability to import and edit them so they are in sync. Any suggestions on a good system that will allow mixing/recording like that for at least 12 tracks?

Thanks!

Return to posts index

Ty Ford
on Aug 12, 2010 at 1:21:47 pm

James,

I have demoed Boom Recorder software (runs on a Mac) and found it quite good. If you go that way you'll need aggregatable devices. The boom recorder site offers solutions.
http://www.vosgames.nl/products/BoomRecorder/

Sound Devices makes the 744T a four track recorder and the 788T eight track recorder. They can be linked. They record polywav files.
http://www.sounddevices.com/

Regards,

Ty Ford

Want better production audio?: Ty Ford's Audio Bootcamp Field Guide

Return to posts index

Bouke Vahl
on Aug 12, 2010 at 3:14:16 pm

Poly Wave sounds like potential trouble.
If it's sports, you probably run long times.
BWF (wave) has a 2 gig limit. If you record 4 channels @ 24 bit,
you better have a recorder that does seamless recording to new files if the 2 gig limit is reached...

So make sure this is possible, or record multiple mono files.
(then you have about 2 hours of recording time.)

Bouke

http://www.videotoolshed.com/
smart tools for video pros

Return to posts index

Matt Mayer
on Aug 13, 2010 at 11:27:35 pm

All of the 7 Series machines make sample-accurate file splits.

File split size is user selected in the menus.

---Matt

---Matt

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]