FORUMS: list search recent posts

Mic for Interview Use in Controlled Settings

COW Forums : Audio Professionals

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Mark Batisah
Mic for Interview Use in Controlled Settings
on Aug 9, 2010 at 4:50:45 am

I have an occasional need to conduct interviews with a Canon Vixia HFS100 camera.

I have a Zoom H2 and am pleased with the quality of audio it produces from a spoken human voice by itself, though, if I try to plug it into the HFS100 the quality is much inferior.

Because I'd sometimes be recording just audio with no video (presumably using the Zoom H2) and then, sometimes, audio/video, is there anything someone could recommend that I could use with the HFS100 that might approximate the sound I get from the Zoom H2?

Sorry if this is a little bit of a newbie question -

Return to posts index

Sam Mallery
Re: Mic for Interview Use in Controlled Settings
on Aug 9, 2010 at 2:00:20 pm

The Audio Technica Pro24CM is a little camera mounted stereo mic that can plug into the Vixia HFS100. However, it is a stereo mic and not really directional. It's good for recording ambient sound. If you decide to get this one, you'll need a Windtech MM1 windscreen for outdoor use.

If you're shooting people speaking to the camera, the Rode VideoMic is a better choice. Here you would need the Rode Dead Cat windscreen for outdoor use.

http://www.sam-mallery.com

Return to posts index

Ben Edwards
on Aug 9, 2010 at 6:29:51 pm

The Sennheiser MKE 300 is a great mic. They don't make them any more but you can pick up one in good nick for around £80. They are a mini shotgun. I once sold a interview to local TV in the UK done on one of these so if its good enough for broadcast in the UK is must be OK.

Ben

Return to posts index

Ty Ford
on Aug 9, 2010 at 7:34:03 pm

Hello Mark and welcome to the Cow Audio Forum.

How about just using the camera to record the audio?

The fact that it also records video doesn't really matter. Leave the lens cap on and go for it.

I've used my Canon XL2 (camera) as a backup audio recorder on several occasions.

Regards,

Ty Ford

Want better production audio?: Ty Ford's Audio Bootcamp Field Guide

Return to posts index

Mark Batisah
on Aug 11, 2010 at 3:15:25 am

Sam / Ben / Ty - thanks so much for your very helpful responses!

Rode VideoMic - I'd been looking at this but hadn't been able to find many samples of quality online so it's good to get this perspective. I may try to rent one this week to test it out.

Sennheiser MKE 300 - This also looks like a great option, so thanks for that advice. I'm going to start checking around on ebay.

Return to posts index

Ty Ford
on Aug 11, 2010 at 12:54:44 pm

Hello Mark,

As I recall, the Rode video mic (I have one) smokes the MKE-300. The only downside to it I can remember is the rubber bands on the suspension mount squeek a bit if you're trying to do run and gun production.

Regards,

Ty Ford

Want better production audio?: Ty Ford's Audio Bootcamp Field Guide

Return to posts index

Ben Edwards
on Aug 11, 2010 at 2:15:46 pm

Do you have more details (weblinks). I have been looking for a comparative test of the MKE 300 and Rode VideoMic but could not find one. This sounds like ecelent news as the MKE 300 was an excelent budget mic and retailed for around £140.

Ben

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]