FORUMS: list search recent posts

Which Digital Recorder to upgrade to from MD

COW Forums : Audio Professionals

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Ben Edwards
Which Digital Recorder to upgrade to from MD
on Aug 7, 2010 at 1:21:06 pm

I currently have a minidisc recorder which I occasionally user for voice/wild-track etc (I work with video) but want to upgrade for something of DAT/Hi-MD or higher quality.

What is the cheapest device worth considering, I figure anything recording at least DAT/Hi-MD will be an improvement over standard MD.

Ben

Return to posts index

Ty Ford
Re: Which Digital Recorder to upgrade to from MD
on Aug 7, 2010 at 2:08:15 pm

DAT is dead.

Zoom H2 seems to be popping up. As long ad you have a way to feed it properly with good mics and mixer and keep the cuts fairly short, you'll do OK.

If you're working in video, the Sound Devices 552 (five channel mixer with internal 2TR recorder plus mix and direct outputs) is a whole 'nother thing.

http://www.sounddevices.com/products/552.htm

Regards,

Ty Ford

Want better production audio?: Ty Ford's Audio Bootcamp Field Guide

Return to posts index

Ben Edwards
Zoom, Palmtrack, SWISSONIC
on Aug 7, 2010 at 2:58:38 pm

Yes, Zoom H2 seems good. I also came across the Alesis PalmTrack which is a more expensive branded version of the SWISSONIC MDR-4. There is even a SWISSONIC MDR-4 which is a 2 microphone version.

The Zoom H2 is around £130, the Alesis PalmTrack around £100, SWISSONIC MDR-4 around £74 and the SWISSONIC MDR-2 £64.

The main difference between the H2 and MDR-4 seems to be the H2 can record in 5.1. This is nice but as I was looking for a 2 channel unit is not going to sway me. All the reviews I have seem indicate good sound quality throughout.

I think I am going to go for a SWISSONIC MDR-4 as Omni recording could be useful and its only £10 extra. As I am normally plunging a sennheiser 44P into it the build in microphone quality is not really relevant.

I am hoping not to have to also use a mixer as I am a 1 person Crew normally.

Regards,
Ben

Return to posts index

Ty Ford
Re: Zoom, Palmtrack, SWISSONIC
on Aug 7, 2010 at 4:51:25 pm

[Ben Edwards] "The main difference between the H2 and MDR-4 seems to be the H2 can record in 5.1"

Bzzzt! "Additionally, you can record in a 360° pickup pattern at up to 48kHz/24-bit resolution which will allow you to convert your recordings to 5.1 Surround."

The key word being "convert." So, no, it doesn't record in 5.1 and 94.2% of the 5.1 that is created is created in post, not from a salt-shaker sized audio recorder with so-so mics.

Regards,

Ty Ford

Want better production audio?: Ty Ford's Audio Bootcamp Field Guide

Return to posts index

Ben Edwards
on Aug 7, 2010 at 5:10:32 pm

Ty,

Is Zoom H2 recording 2 stereo pairs/4 tracks? 2 front 2 back?

I totally appreciate what you are saying, I would be happier not to have a internal mic and they spent there money on main unit.

Ben

Return to posts index

Sam Mallery
on Aug 9, 2010 at 2:10:30 pm

The H2 has 2 mics in the front and 2 in the back. I believe the bass frequencies from the 4 mics make up the subwoofer channel.

Anyhow, before I read this thread I had never even heard of the brand "Swissonic," so I can't suggest whether it's good or bad. But, considering that I'd never heard of them before, it seems like you could do better by going with a more reputable brand.

The Zoom H2 is okay, but it's a little flimsy. Zoom is coming out with a new recorder called the H1 which is a little less expensive, but has the potential to be a better choice.

I use the Edirol R-09HR for this purpose. I bought it at the end of last year, and it's really come down in price since then. The reason I got it is that I had heard so many good things about it over the years. It's really easy to use, it's made well, and it sounds good.

http://www.sam-mallery.com

Return to posts index

Ben Edwards
on Aug 9, 2010 at 6:22:12 pm

I actually ordered a SWISSONIC MDR-2, the SWISSONIC MDR-4 is actually a unbranded PalmTrack which Sound On Sound gave a favourable review apart from the build quality. From reports I have heard the MDR-2 is better built and has 2 1/4" jack inputs with level knobs for each.

I will post a mini review when I get it.

Ben

Return to posts index

Ben Edwards
Re: Which Digital Recorder to upgrade to from MD
on Aug 13, 2010 at 9:33:21 pm

Hi, me again;).

Is there a cheaper option, I think that is 50x more expensive than the H2;).

A stereo pre-amp with 1/4" jack or XLR in and phono or 1/4" jack out would be perfect.

Ben

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]