FORUMS: list search recent posts

Should I sell my Sennheiser MKE 44P and get a Rode NT5

COW Forums : Audio Professionals

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Ben Edwards
Should I sell my Sennheiser MKE 44P and get a Rode NT5
on Aug 5, 2010 at 11:04:44 am

I recently won a Sennheiser MKE 44P on EBay for £157. Since then I have been looking at reviews and am getting the feeling maybe I should of got Rode NT5s instead. The Auction was not set up very well so I figure I could sell the 44P for enough to get a new Rods NT5.

I am planing on using the microphone for recording soundtrack for video (i.e. audience ambience at gigs) but also for recording music. As the NT5 is actually 2 mikes this gives me extra flexibility (I could record a singer songwriter with one for vocals and one for guitar).

Or should I look at getting something else (maybe used).

My main setup for video is a Sony Z1 and Sennheiser ME66 microphone.

Regards,
Ben

Return to posts index

Ty Ford
Re: Should I sell my Sennheiser MKE 44P and get a Rode NT5
on Aug 5, 2010 at 6:56:02 pm

Hello Ben and welcome to the Cow Audio Forum.

There are so many mics out there theses days. I've seen, used and reviewed a lot of mics, but I've never seen a 44P, but that doesn't mean it isn't good.

Given its lack of notoriety, whether you can sell it at a good price remains a question.

The NT5s would require a stereo bar for mounting. You could do that. The NT5 is a good mic.

My preference for singer songwriters playing acoustic guitar is a figure of eight for vocals. Orient the mic horizontally and twist it so the guitar is in the lower null.

I like a hypercardioid for the guitar aimed almost straight to the floor at about where the neck joins the body.

Regards,

Ty Ford

Want better production audio?: Ty Ford's Audio Bootcamp Field Guide

Return to posts index

Ben Edwards
on Aug 7, 2010 at 1:37:38 pm

Thanks, I recently got quite good results with a single ME66 a couple of meters from a singer guitar player pointed at the mouth. This seemed to bring out the vocals but still record the guitar. It was on a boom at 45 degrees. I am however just a beginner.

Regards,
Ben

Return to posts index

Ty Ford
on Aug 7, 2010 at 2:03:42 pm

Well, the ME66 is mostly considered a "beginner's mic" because it's less expensive and not the same quality as a 416, MKH 60, KM 82, CMIT or CS3e.

With singer-songwriters, as long as they are balancing the level of their singing with their guitar playing, one mic can do very well. Not all can balance their levels.

I usually go in from above to catch the voice and let the guitar fill in.

Regards,

Ty

Want better production audio?: Ty Ford's Audio Bootcamp Field Guide

Return to posts index

Brian Reynolds
on Aug 7, 2010 at 12:05:50 am

Often a good simple stereo mic is good to have, especially on location shoots or OB's.
Some other good stereo mics similar to the Sennheiser MHE44 would be the Shure VP88, Rode NT4, or my all time favorite AKG C552.

PS. If you do want to get rid of it send me a message rather than putting it back on eBay.

The difference between Knowledge and Wisdom is... Knowledge is the knowing of facts.... Wisdom is the sensible application of good quality knowledge...

Return to posts index

Ben Edwards
on Aug 7, 2010 at 1:27:51 pm

Thanks so you obviously rate the 44P. I read reviews that indicated it was lacking at the base end and that the NT4/5 were better general purpose mics. I also read if you have a lot of instruments some get lost with the NT4/5 and it was a little lacking in the mid. Is the 44P better at recording a band?

Sounds a lot like swings and roundabouts to me,

The fact that the NT5 can be used as 2 mics (i.e. vocals guitar) really appeals to me but I am wondering how directional they are.

Regards,
Ben

Return to posts index

marc meier
on Aug 8, 2010 at 9:41:10 am

thanks

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]