FORUMS: list search recent posts

Audio analysis phase-scope in software?

COW Forums : Audio Professionals

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Mark Spano
Audio analysis phase-scope in software?
on Aug 3, 2010 at 3:52:36 pm

Just wondering if anybody here has found a good app (Mac) to analyze audio files - preferably with phase-scope...

Return to posts index

Ty Ford
Re: Audio analysis phase-scope in software?
on Aug 3, 2010 at 6:31:35 pm

Hi Mark and welcome to the Cow Audio Forum.

SpectraFoo comes to mind.

http://www.mhlabs.com/metric_halo/products/foo/sf_features.shtml

Regards,

Ty Ford

Want better production audio?: Ty Ford's Audio Bootcamp Field Guide

Return to posts index

Mark Spano
on Aug 4, 2010 at 4:08:25 am

Ty,

Thanks for the heads-up. I've been using the standard phase metering in the Waves bundle for PT at my workstation, but sometimes if I'm at a non-PT station, I'd like to just check files for channels, bit depth, sample rate, etc., and make sure that they're true stereo and mono compatible. I can do all of the above with Snapper except for the last one, hence the want for a phase checker. I wish there was an app in the 'closer-to-free' range, but Spectra-Foo might have to be sneaked in on next quarter's budget.

Return to posts index

Ty Ford
on Aug 4, 2010 at 11:51:36 am

Mark,

Happy to help. What kind of projects are you doing that demands that much technical scrutiny?

Regards,

Ty Ford

Return to posts index

Mark Spano
on Aug 5, 2010 at 2:25:36 am

I work in a broadcast post facility, and often it's my job to QC tapes and files before they go out to air. Having a Tek scope for tapes is essential - I get all the nice waveform/vector/dBFs meter/phase scope/loudness/etc. so I can pass them. But lots of files come across my desktop before they go out and I'm nowhere near the machine room to check it on the Tek. I trust my ears, but it's always nice to be able to measure something, especially since some of this happens in the morning and I don't drink coffee...

Return to posts index

Ty Ford
on Aug 5, 2010 at 2:44:08 am

Mark,

Well we're glad you have time to stop by the Cow Audio Forum and toss in from time to time.

Thanks!

Ty Ford

Return to posts index

Peter Groom
on Aug 5, 2010 at 3:24:40 pm

The only problem im seeing here is the "dont drink coffee" line.
How can you be in the media and not drink loads of it. You must be a balanced, sober, considered, reliable type, not like us frantic, jumpy, red-eye crazed caffeine injectors.

Metering comments all seem good, but i dont know of a freestanding app except PPMulator. It doesnt have a phase meter, but does have Middle and side so that should give you a good idea of how much mono compatible material there is. Not sure about bussing audio into it too without running an app like pro tools.
Peter

Peter

Return to posts index

Ty Ford
on Aug 5, 2010 at 3:38:42 pm

Peter,

Next time you're out and about, instead of coffee, try a Baskins & Robbins Classic Blast with whipped cream and cinnamon.

We also have a small company here that sells an iced coffee that, to me, is just amazing. Some sort of cold overnight brew.

Now back to our regularly scheduled program.

Regards,

Ty Ford

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]