FORUMS: list search recent posts

audio wave analysis form software

COW Forums : Audio Professionals

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Joseph Dezordi
audio wave analysis form software
on Aug 3, 2010 at 9:08:39 am

Need to show the wave form in real time superimposed upon video of child with respiratory disease

What soft ware can do this?

Return to posts index

Ty Ford
Re: audio wave analysis form software
on Aug 3, 2010 at 11:52:02 am

Hello Joseph and welcome to the Cow Audio Forum.

That would be the result of combining two video streams in real time. I think you need hardware for that; some sort of switcher and some sort of device to capture the data and generate the wave form. What will the wave form be representing?

Regards,

Ty Ford

Want better production audio?: Ty Ford's Audio Bootcamp Field Guide

Return to posts index

Joseph Dezordi
on Aug 3, 2010 at 12:47:21 pm

The situation is

valuable videos for teaching med students, of sick children with different types of cough / wheeze/ stridor due to different diseases (pneumonia, asthma, croup) etc....
they need to learn to distinguish the different sounds

With video capture software you can see the differently shaped wave forms in the audio track, ie croup gives a diamond shape, bronchiolitis gives a square shape

What I do is cut out an image of the audio track as a jpeg and through photoshop superimpose a layer of the sound wave image over the video of the child's breathing... but this is tedious and innacurate... what is needed is an actual video image, of the sounds spectral analysis, ( like an oscillascope trace) which is perfectly synchronised with the sound that creates the wave forms, and which I can render together as an alpha channel over the video.... hope it makes sense.....

Joseph D

Return to posts index

Ty Ford
on Aug 3, 2010 at 12:59:17 pm

OK so it's not in real time, but you want to record it so you can present the two together for playback.

That's a challenging idea because the sound is instantaneous. As they cough, you show a waveform of that, but it's instantly gone unless you freeze it for subsequent analysis.

You also have a restriction on the width of the wave form based on how wide the screen is. If you're only after the cough and it's a second or so long, you'll probably be OK.

You might be able to use Camtasia to do a screen capture of your monitor which is displaying a waveform.
Soundtrack Pro and Melodyne Direct Note Access softwares both show waveforms or spectral content. I'm not sure that gets you there, though.

Regards,

Ty Ford

Return to posts index

Joseph Dezordi
on Aug 3, 2010 at 1:13:53 pm

Thanks
this is on the right track, but I was hoping there might be an application which does it as true video not just a screen capture....

the effect I am trying to get is similar to what you can see in doppler ultrasound recordings....
like here

Joseph D

Return to posts index

Ty Ford
on Aug 3, 2010 at 1:32:07 pm

Provided the computer has the right I/O, you can squirt out the screen grabs as video.

That's not an audio question. Ya gotta check in with someone who knows graphics.

Regards,

Ty Ford

Return to posts index

John Fishback
on Aug 5, 2010 at 4:29:14 pm

If you have AfterFX there is an effect called Audio Waveform. You can use it to super a waveform over the video or create a clip you can super over another clip. It gives you a lot of control over the size and shape of the waveform. It looks to me that it might do what you want, but you'd have to try it with the actual sound to make sure it's actually drawing the correct waveform. Motion has some audio generators that might work.

John

MacPro 8-core 2.8GHz 8 GB RAM OS 10.5.8 QT7.6.4 Kona 3 Dual Cinema 23 ATI Radeon HD 3870, 24" TV-Logic Monitor, ATTO ExpressSAS R380 RAID Adapter, PDE enclosure with 8-drive 6TB RAID 5
FCS 3 (FCP 7.0.2, Motion 4.0.2, Comp 3.5.2, DVDSP 4.2.2, Color 1.5.2)

Pro Tools HD w SYNC IO & 192 Digital I/O, Yamaha DM1000, Millennia Media HV-3C, Neumann U87, Schoeps Mk41 mics, Genelec Monitors, PrimaLT ISDN

Return to posts index

Joseph Dezordi
on Aug 5, 2010 at 11:04:10 pm

Thanks

do you mean Adobe After Effects ?

Is 'Motion' a program or a plugin from ....?????

Joseph D

Return to posts index

Joseph Dezordi
on Aug 6, 2010 at 12:42:46 am

Thanks I worked out it was adobe affter effects, also can produce a crude spectral analysis effect, for the moment it looks promising

What is "Motion" ?

Joseph D

Return to posts index

John Fishback
on Aug 6, 2010 at 2:33:06 pm

Motion is a part of the Final Cut Suite of products. It's a compositing program like After Effects, but with a different operational paradigm.

John

MacPro 8-core 2.8GHz 8 GB RAM OS 10.5.8 QT7.6.4 Kona 3 Dual Cinema 23 ATI Radeon HD 3870, 24" TV-Logic Monitor, ATTO ExpressSAS R380 RAID Adapter, PDE enclosure with 8-drive 6TB RAID 5
FCS 3 (FCP 7.0.2, Motion 4.0.2, Comp 3.5.2, DVDSP 4.2.2, Color 1.5.2)

Pro Tools HD w SYNC IO & 192 Digital I/O, Yamaha DM1000, Millennia Media HV-3C, Neumann U87, Schoeps Mk41 mics, Genelec Monitors, PrimaLT ISDN

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]