FORUMS: list search recent posts

humming sound from ssennheiser me66 (sample included)

COW Forums : Audio Professionals

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
david payne
humming sound from ssennheiser me66 (sample included)
on Aug 3, 2010 at 8:27:39 am

hi all,

for the last few weddings I have heard the following hum in the background of my sennheiser me66 recordings:

http://www.rideoutproductions.co.uk/Sample.mp3

I am using a fresh 2700mAh rechargeable battery and I changed it before this recording as I remembered the hum from last time.

I am using an adapter side mount to mount the microphone to my FX1 so it basically looks like this:

http://617pg.com/dvinfo/Camerarig.JPG

Could this be causing any sort of feedback as the mic is too close to the camera body? I just cant work out what could be causing it...

Many thanks

Return to posts index

david payne
Re: humming sound from ssennheiser me66 (sample included)
on Aug 8, 2010 at 10:15:06 pm

nobody has any idea then?

Return to posts index

Richard Thompson
on Aug 21, 2010 at 8:35:58 pm

Check the cable connecting the mic and camera. If one of the signal lines is broken the cable may be picking up motor/other noise and the system is unable to reject it. Lines inside XLR connectors have a nasty habit of detaching themselves.

Richard Thompson
T4 Media

Return to posts index

david payne
on Aug 31, 2010 at 8:03:46 am

hi Richard,

Thanks for your advice. I did a wedding on saturday with the same cable and got the same horrible low buzz...

Strangely it doesnt seem to happen when I run it through my beachtek DXA-4 XLR box (which I didnt have at this wedding).

I have just bought a rode suspension shock mount to try and move the mic away from the camera to see if that solves the problem (and also removes some of the horrible handling noise that I get from my modified Z1 style mic bracket on the side of the camera)

Return to posts index

George McMorrow
on Sep 6, 2010 at 1:39:34 pm

You can sometimes get a ground hum from the me66 and it could be caused by a couple of things. Try unscrewing and screwing it back firmly the two pieces of the mic and listen to the effect. Also, there is a little screw on the side that sometimes loosens up a bit, use small screwdriver to make sure that this is tight. It could be the xlr cable too, try pushing the connection and moving it gently side to side to see if this has an effect.
Luck has everything to do with it
George

George McMorrow
Cinecall Productions
http://www.cinecall.com

Return to posts index

david payne
on Nov 15, 2010 at 9:44:27 am

thanks George, I have tried everything you mention except checking the screw but will try that soon.

Is there no way it could be anything to do with the mic being too close to the camera body then?

Come to think of it, I'm sure I would have noticed this if it was doing it right from the start. I've had that modified mic clamp on there for a lot longer than I've been hearing the hum...

Return to posts index

Richard Thompson
on Nov 15, 2010 at 4:17:13 pm

Dave,

Try some standard troubleshooting:

1: Try a different mic using the same cable and position
2: Try a different cable (even if it's too long) with the Sennheiser at the same position
3: Try a longer cable with the Sennheiser held away from the camera

Hopefully one of these will point you in the right direction.

Richard Thompson
T4 Media

Return to posts index

Malcolm Brabant
on Mar 12, 2015 at 8:22:44 am

Thanks for that solution.
I just tightened up the screw on my Me66 and the hum that had been baffling me, went away.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]