HVR-A1U Audio Problems

COW Forums : Audio Professionals

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Kimberly Behzadi
HVR-A1U Audio Problems
on Aug 1, 2010 at 4:28:32 am

Hi everyone.

I recently bought a SONY HVR-A1U.
THe microphone on the camera works great!

But I was testing out another microphone I have, an Audio-Technica ATR6550. It requires an adapter *from an insert to a 3-prong for the camera* but I'm not hearing anything!

I only have a digital download of the manual, and there isn't much in the audio section. I've used this microphone on this camera's big sister model while I was at school but it just doesn't seem to work.

I did put in a fresh double AA battery, that was the first thing I did. First I had both mics in their respected channels, the Audio-Technica in channel two. I turned it on and talked into it but didn't hear anything. So I turned off the camera and swapped their positions, got nothing. I put the AT in slot one and unplugged the microphone that came with the camera. Still nothing.

Any ideas what I should do?

Return to posts index

Ty Ford
Re: HVR-A1U Audio Problems
on Aug 1, 2010 at 5:30:24 pm

Hello Kimberly and welcome to the Cow Audio Forum.

You have an consumer unbalanced mic that you're trying to use with a balanced professional XLR input.

I would suggest that if you want to make professional videos, you leave the mic alone and get one with an XLR connection.

You need several types of microphone, depending on the situation. Please checkout my mic tutorial video while listening over good monitors or very good headphones (not lap top speakers).

http://gallery.me.com/tyreeford#100038

Regards,

Ty Ford

Want better production audio?: Ty Ford's Audio Bootcamp Field Guide

Return to posts index

Kimberly Behzadi
on Aug 1, 2010 at 11:14:58 pm

First,

Thank you SO much Mr. Ford! Your tutorial was extremely helpful. Our Cinema & Screen Studies department is very new at school, so audio tutorials like these are extremely beneficial.

In your post you said:
You have an consumer unbalanced mic that you're trying to use with a balanced professional XLR input.

Can you explain what that means? I don't really know what "balanced' or "unbalanced" means.

Can you make any suggestions for a shotgun microphone that would work well with the SONY HVR-A1U?

Thanks again!
Kimberly Behzadi

Return to posts index

Ty Ford
on Aug 2, 2010 at 4:26:00 am

Kimberly,

No problem. You're welcome.

Without going into an electronics course; unbalanced mics use two wires, balanced mics use three. The extra wire carries more signal and helps to prevent electrical noises from getting into your audio.

As to which shotgun mic, first are you sure you need a shotgun?

Where do you intend to put it?

What's that space like acoustically?

Will it be on a boom?

Will someone being handling the boom?

Regards,

Ty Ford

Return to posts index

Sam Mallery
on Aug 2, 2010 at 3:07:44 pm

Nice video, Ty! That was the best explanation of the low frequency behavior of shotguns mics that I've seen.

Kimberly - Unfortunately, the Audio Technica mic you have is a pretty lousy one. Audio Technica makes some really good stuff, but they also make a few low priced stinkers. I don't know how you're trying to adapt the ATR6550 to the XLR input on your camera, but if you're using the wrong adapters and cables, it won't work. If you use the cable that came with the mic that terminates in a 1/8" mini-plug, you can get this adapter from Rode:

http://rodemic.com/accessory.php?product=VXLR

That should work. That adapter is $10. Money that may be better spent on investing in a better mic.

Also, it seems obvious, but make sure you have the power switch on the mic turned on when you're testing.

http://www.sam-mallery.com

Return to posts index

Ty Ford
on Aug 2, 2010 at 3:51:59 pm

Thanks Sam,

That was my absolute first video shoot some years back. I realized I could effectively demonstrate what the mics sounded like and that changed everything. That was a real Aha! moment.

I send that link out to everyone who buys my little "Audio Bootcamp Field Guide." http://web.mac.com/tyreeford/Site/Ty_Ford_Audio_Bootcamp_Field_Guide.html

It wasn't long before I saw other video demos of audio gear and techniques popping up on the web.

I forget, will the Rode converter (I have one in my drawer of stuff) take a 1/8" TS or does it require a TRS?

Regards,

Ty

Return to posts index

Kimberly Behzadi
on Aug 2, 2010 at 5:35:54 pm

I can't say where exactly I'm going to be filming because there will be multiple shoots throughout the semester. A lot of the shoots will be indoors and nothing is "designed' to be a film set.

The shotgun mic would always be on a boom pole and I'll always have a boom operator with me.

Audio is a huge issue with our films on campus. We are always told not to rely on a microphone that just "sits" on the camera. So I wanted a second microphone, especially for recording dialogue.

Return to posts index

Ty Ford
on Aug 2, 2010 at 6:22:57 pm

Kimberly,

I think, for your uses, I'd start with a supercardioid or hypercardioid instead of a shotgun mic because you'll be inside, per my video.

Cheap to expensive.

The Oktava MC012 with hypercardioid capsule, the Audix SCX-1 with HC capsule and at the top, the Schoeps cmc641. You'll also need wind protection gear for outside work. Even for inside work, you should use a small foam filter to diffuse air currents caused by HVAC and boom swing. And also to cushion the mic when (not if) it's dropped.

Regards,

Ty Ford

Return to posts index

Sam Mallery
on Aug 3, 2010 at 2:27:13 pm

It does need TRS... so using it here would be a bad idea because she would need to get an adapter for the adapter.

Scratch that Rode adapter idea, Kimberly!

http://www.sam-mallery.com

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]