FORUMS: list search recent posts

Surround Mixing complete, thanks ty, jay rose

COW Forums : Audio Professionals

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
rosh kadri
Surround Mixing complete, thanks ty, jay rose
on Jul 30, 2010 at 1:56:16 am

Not an advertisement. I would like to thank you ty for your help along with jay rose and too many to name over the forums. I have completed my feature and Ty requested, i post something so here it is:

For theatrical projection- I downloaded pink noise of the net and set it at -20,in a small room i measured to 82DB, one speaker at a time. Depending on the scene, dialogue was at -20 for any soft whispers and as i high as almost -2 for yelling, screaming. Three processes were used on the dialogue track, compression, EQ, and noise reduction. I want to say the rest pretty simply: you then mix to taste, if it sounds good, its good. Watch for clipping and articulate which elements you want to stand out in the mix, is it a sad scene? maybe we want the music (if any) to overpower or does the dialogue stand out by itself. After a week of mixing, your ears should be the main judge, but double check the meters to keep them under control.

It took two test screenings to get it right. But today, im a happy man, it sounds beautiful. Thank you all for your support and free time.

Return to posts index

Ty Ford
Re: Surround Mixing complete, thanks ty, jay rose
on Jul 30, 2010 at 12:49:51 pm

Rosh,

Thanks for stopping by to let us know how the theatrical mix went. How did your experience compare with the commercial DVDs you compared?

Regards,

Ty Ford

Want better production audio?: Ty Ford's Audio Bootcamp Field Guide

Return to posts index

rosh kadri
on Jul 30, 2010 at 11:48:29 pm

pretty darn close ty, the surround compressor on the master bus evened things out in the end and gave it that certain pump to it.

Return to posts index

Ty Ford
on Jul 31, 2010 at 12:09:19 am

makes sense, sweet!

Ty

Want better production audio?: Ty Ford's Audio Bootcamp Field Guide

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]