FORUMS: list search recent posts

MR5 audio monitors "pop" when I turn them off.

COW Forums : Audio Professionals

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Vic Noseworthy
MR5 audio monitors "pop" when I turn them off.
on Jul 20, 2010 at 3:24:55 pm

Hi guys,
Just wondering (not sure if I have a problem or not)...
I just purchased and started using a set of Mackie MR5 audio monitors. Initially, I tried using them with just a Y-cable, but I was getting a bit of interference/noise in the speakers. So, I purchased an M-Audio Fast Track Pro, giving me a USB connection to my Mac and balanced outputs to the audio monitors. This took care of the static noise I was hearing. Right now, my system sounds great. Nice and clean!
Here's the thing I'm wondering about:
When I first hooked up the M-Audio interface to the Mac and out to the audio monitors, I didn't know that you should switch off the power switch on the monitors before you flick the power switch on the audio interface. Hence, when I flicked the switch on the audio interface, I got a loud "thump" through the monitors (the sudden surge of power made for an alarming "pop"). I'm wondering if this did any damage? As I said, my system currently sounds great, and while I use it, there aren't any issues. However, only when I switch off the monitors, I do hear a slight static-like 'pop' sound coming from each monitor, about 3 seconds after I flick the switch. It's not very loud (and I know my home stereo does a similar thing when I switch off the amplifier, so I'm thinking it's probably normal). It's just that I don't remember hearing it before (i.e. when I was using only the Y-cable).
Can one of you sound experts enlighten me? Do you think I did any damage to the monitors when I switched on the audio interface and heard the loud 'thump' (i.e. the power surge)?
Please pardon my ignorance... I would just like to know if my system is okay, and I very much value your input. I really know nothing about this stuff.
Thank you very much.
Vixter

Return to posts index

cowcowcowcowcow
Richard Crowley
Re: MR5 audio monitors "pop" when I turn them off.
on Jul 20, 2010 at 3:31:22 pm

You are correct that turning off the power amp(s) first (and on last) is the preferred sequence, for exactly the reason you discovered on your own.

The slight pop when powering down is very likely "normal" and not harmful, nor a symptom of previous damage. If there is not discernable change in the performance of the speakers, then it is likely they were not significantly damaged by the power transients from previous operation.

Return to posts index

Vic Noseworthy
on Jul 20, 2010 at 4:46:43 pm

Thank you, Richard. I feel better.

Return to posts index

Mark Spano
on Jul 20, 2010 at 7:05:04 pm

[Richard Crowley] "The slight pop when powering down is very likely "normal" and not harmful"

This is absolutely correct. The little pops are the capacitors from the amplifier section discharging. This is normal for powered speakers of all varieties and by design will not harm the speakers or amplifiers within.

Return to posts index

Vic Noseworthy
on Jul 21, 2010 at 2:30:22 am

Thanks very much, Richard. I was hoping I'd not done any damage. And, as I said in my previous post, the sound I'm getting is just great! But, your input makes me feel better that I have not done any damage to my brand new monitors. Thanks again!

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]