FORUMS: list search recent posts

USB interface selection

COW Forums : Audio Professionals

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Marc Morel
USB interface selection
on Jul 19, 2010 at 3:41:58 pm

Hi All,

Quick setup; 2 translators in a booth during a live event, no easy, quality way to tap into the translation system to record audio so I've been putting an M-Audio MicroTrack directly in the booth with mixed results. I'd like to try putting a second set of mics and recording straight to my laptop with Adobe Audition.

Which of these devices do you figure would yield the best results? The Presonus Audiobox USB or the Peavy PV-6 USB

http://pro-audio.musiciansfriend.com/product/PreSonus-AudioBox-USB-2X2-USB-...

http://pro-audio.musiciansfriend.com/product/Peavey-PV-6-USB-Compact-USB-Mi...

I've read the Presonus is extremely quiet but I also like the idea of the added features and versatility of the the PV6 USB.

Any experiences or insights you can provide will be greatly appreciated,

Regards,

Marc

Return to posts index

Richard Crowley
Re: USB interface selection
on Jul 19, 2010 at 3:44:07 pm

It would be helpful to know what "mixed results" means? What problem(s) are you trying to solve?

Return to posts index

Marc Morel
on Jul 19, 2010 at 6:11:12 pm

Hi Richard,

Mainly the fact once the live event starts, I have mics, lights, video and audio cues to take care of and this makes monitoring the MicroTrack, which is phisically in the translator's booth, somewhat difficult. Our translators work in pairs, switching every 20-30 minutes and I've run into pairs made up of a screamer and a whisperer. Fixable in post but the better recording you start with . . . I've also had the MicroTrack unit just stop recording and save the file, for no apparent reason, half way through the event.

If I could have either unit, feeding audio via USB to my laptop, close to my main audio board / playback rack /lighting console it would be more convenient to monitor and adjust the input.

Make sense?

Marc

Return to posts index

cow
Richard Crowley
on Jul 20, 2010 at 4:33:37 am

It looks like either would work for your application. They both provide mic inputs, phantom power (although only 15v on the Peavy), individually-adjustable gains, and USB interface. Something like the mixer would have broader application for other things (not to mention that it is less expensive). Note that the similar Behringer Behringer XENYX 1204USB mixer has real 48V phantom power at the same price as the Peavy.

Return to posts index

Marc Morel
on Jul 23, 2010 at 12:54:22 pm

Thanks.

MM

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]