FORUMS: list search recent posts

Connecting audio monitors to MacBook Pro using M-Audio box

COW Forums : Audio Professionals

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Vic Noseworthy
Connecting audio monitors to MacBook Pro using M-Audio box
on Jul 17, 2010 at 5:25:27 am

Hi folks!
I've just set up my system to allow me to achieve better audio. I now have my MacBook Pro connected via the headphone output jack to an M-Audio Fast Track Pro interface, and from there using balanced connections to my Mackie MR5 monitors. Sounds real good. However, I was unable to set up the driver for the M-Audio box (I downloaded it, but it just doesn't work). The device is Class Compliant for Mac OS X, so it works fine... however, here's my problem: When the Mac goes into sleep mode, it loses the connection to the M-Audio box. So, when I later want to start in using my system again, I have to shut down the M-Audio box and restart in order to re-establish the connection. It's a PAIN... mainly because it means I have to ALSO turn off both monitors (otherwise I get that loud electronic "POP" you often hear when switching on a device already connected to an amp... Note: the MR5's are active speakers).
Anyone know if getting the actual drivers installed would help? And, if so, how I might best do this? Or is there something else I could try? (Note: I followed the instructions on M-Audio's website and carefully downloaded the specific recommended driver, but it won't install.)
Thanks very much for your help!
Vic

Return to posts index

Sam Mallery
Re: Connecting audio monitors to MacBook Pro using M-Audio box
on Jul 19, 2010 at 2:45:35 pm

"I now have my MacBook Pro connected via the headphone output jack to an M-Audio Fast Track Pro interface"

You don't need to connect the headphone output of your computer to the audio interface. The USB connection is all that's needed.

As far as the sleeping issue goes, I'm not sure. Perhaps try posting the question on M-Audio's forum.

http://www.sam-mallery.com

Return to posts index

Vic Noseworthy
Re: Connecting audio monitors to MacBook Pro using M-Audio box
on Jul 19, 2010 at 3:47:33 pm

Thank you, Sam. Actually, that was a mistake on my part. I actually do have the M-Audio box connected via USB (I'd been connecting the monitors using the headphone jack for so long... prior to purchasing the audio interface... that I forgot about now using the USB connection).
Regarding going to sleep, I've contacted Apple and they have told me that this is just the way it will work... that I should simply set my MacBook Pro so that it does not go to sleep. Also, I found similar advice on the M-Audio forum (i.e. that it "does not support sleep mode" and that I should set my Mac to never sleep).
I wonder, though, if I purchased the external power supply for the Fast Track Pro, would that solve the problem (right now, it's powered via USB). My thinking stems from how the M-Audio box works: right now, when the power is cut, the Mac reverts to its internal sound card. Is this because the USB power supply is cut? An external power cord into the M-Audio box would mean continuous power, regardless of whether the Mac is asleep or not. This might keep the connection alive.
Of course, first I have to purchase the optional power supply cord for the M-Audio box.
Thanks again, Sam!

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]