FORUMS: list search recent posts

Screw up

COW Forums : Audio Professionals

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Shaun O'Brien
Screw up
on Jul 8, 2010 at 8:30:33 am

I made a huge mistake and had the cardiod of the Sony C 48 studio Mics faceing the wrong way. The resulting sound is awful and for some reason, i didn't notice a difference until i played it on my own monitor speakers. Now it sounds like there is alot of reverb and the EQ is weird. The reverb isn't that much of a problem but if i can fix it it would be good. We cant re-record so we have to make do. Any tips to fix it (or should i say improve it)

Return to posts index

Ty Ford
Re: Screw up
on Jul 8, 2010 at 5:35:10 pm

Hello Shaun and welcome to the Cow AUdio Forum.

Nope. But I can only assume that you were not listening on headphones during the shoot.

As simple as that sounds, that was your biggest mistake and you will join the thousands of folks in the "never do THAT again" club. The headphones I spec for location work are the Sony MDR-7506. Don't ask, just buy a pair now for the next shoot.

You said you didn't notice the difference until you played the sound on your monitor speakers. Did the audio sound correct earlier? If so, you may have some anomaly in your edit/monitor system. Go back to the camera. Play back the files. Listen on the above mentioned headphones. If the audio is OK there, you may be OK. Find out what you did wrong during or after transfer.

Regards,

Ty Ford

Want better production audio?: Ty Ford's Audio Bootcamp Field Guide

Return to posts index

Jordan Wolf
on Jul 9, 2010 at 7:22:51 am

I love the Sony C48...I'm sorry to hear of your trouble with the recording.

Unfortunately, you're really stuck with the reverb (room reflections, I'd guess) and odd EQ sound (off-axis pickup).

Maybe you should try omni next time?

Wolf
<><

Return to posts index

Shaun O'Brien
on Jul 9, 2010 at 8:17:44 am

Yeah i switched it from figure of 8 to cardioid and wasn't smart enough to see which way it was faceing. But yeah, now i will always check.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]