FORUMS: list search recent posts

Syncing the audio from a boom and lavs to RED footage?

COW Forums : Audio Professionals

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Joshua Kingdon
Syncing the audio from a boom and lavs to RED footage?
on Jul 7, 2010 at 5:07:47 am

I just shot three scenes for my reel (about 15 to 20 min total) on the RED camera. Our sound guy recorded with both a boom and lav mics. However the video footage that ingested into Final Cut contains the audio from the lav mics. I am discovering that I like the sound from the boom mics better. What's the best way to sync the audio from the boom mic when the time codes don't match? Is there any options beyond syncing up each clip from the clap board?

Looking back, it seems like it would've been a whole lot easier to run the boom feed into the RED and use the lavs as back up. Frustrating but it's a learning experience.

Thanks,

Josh
joshuakingdon.com

Return to posts index

Ty Ford
Re: Syncing the audio from a boom and lavs to RED footage?
on Jul 8, 2010 at 2:16:39 am

Hello Joshua and welcome to the Cow Audio Forum.

If there's no drift, you can use PluralEyes, a plugin, to sync the boom audio to the camera audio. You don't say. what was the boom recorded to?

Regards,

Ty Ford

Want better production audio?: Ty Ford's Audio Bootcamp Field Guide

Return to posts index

Joshua Kingdon
on Jul 8, 2010 at 5:05:08 pm

Thanks for your response. I ended up just syncing the audio via watching the clapboard (marking the points) and reading the digital digital time code on the board to find the appropriate .wav file. The digital time code that was on actual clapboard and the audio files matched up (the video files were off by 6 seconds).

Then I dragged the video and sound files into the timeline, "linked" the files together after syncing them (Choose "Modify" on the menu then choose "Link"). After that I dropped them back in the browser, deleted the original file (not containing boom audio) and put the new file (with the same file name) in the appropriate folder. It took a long time but I got it done.

I'm not sure how the boom was recorded...I'd have to ask my sound guy. I did learn through this process that boom audio tends to be better than lav mic audio especially when you're indoors. I'll be better prepared as a filmmaker for my next shoot. Thanks again for your response.

BTW..What is drift?

Return to posts index

Ty Ford
on Jul 8, 2010 at 5:27:50 pm

Joshua,

I thought you said the lav sound and the video were recorded at the same time to the camera. If so, no sync should have been required.

Glad it worked out but please confirm the following.

1. What device was the lav recorded to?
2. What device was the boom recorded to?
3. What editing software are you using?

Boom audio may or may not be as good as lav audio inside. Too many factors must be considered to make a blanket statement.

You may find my little book helpful before venturing out again:
http://web.mac.com/tyreeford/Site/Ty_Ford_Audio_Bootcamp_Field_Guide.html

Drift can happen to files recorded on different machines at the same time because their internal clocks are not precisely synchronized.

Regards,

Ty Ford

Want better production audio?: Ty Ford's Audio Bootcamp Field Guide

Return to posts index

Joshua Kingdon
on Jul 8, 2010 at 6:28:00 pm

I said that when I ingested the files into Final Cut the quicktime files contained the audio from the lav mics. They did not contain the boom audio files. At the end of the day I had the RED files and a separate folder of .wav audio files stored on my hard drive. I did not say that the boom and lavs were recorded to the RED camera directly.

I am not sure about the devices that were used for the boom and lav. If I find out I'll make sure to post them. I was wearing enough hats as it was on the day of the shoot and I trusted my sound guy to get it done so I didn't even ask. I am using Final Cut 7.02 (within Studio 3) as my editing software. I will make sure to check out your book.

Thanks again,

Josh

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]