FORUMS: list search recent posts

Fix slight distortion?

COW Forums : Audio Professionals

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Wayne Marx
Fix slight distortion?
on Jul 1, 2010 at 8:44:04 am

Hi there,

I think I already know the answer, which has something to do with not being able to unscramble an egg - but I thought I'd throw this out to the gurus who may have access to some miracle technology that I'm not aware of, so here goes...

I have some slight distortion/over-modulation on several interview clips that I'd like to remove, if possible.

Here's a sample:
http://f1.creativecow.net/file/872/872_audiosample.mov.zip

872_audiosample.mov.zip

Am I barking up the wrong tree and wishing upon a unicorn?

Thanks in advance,

Wayne

Return to posts index

Peter Groom
Re: Fix slight distortion?
on Jul 1, 2010 at 2:34:13 pm

Hey wayne. i think the dist is a little more than slight, but Ive had a go. This is as good as i can get itr.
im going to attach / upload an mp3 of my attempt for an A B comparison.

Cheers
Peter

Peter

873_872afterdeclip.mp3.zip

Return to posts index

Wayne Marx
on Jul 1, 2010 at 2:42:51 pm

Hi Peter,

Thanks for taking the time - much appreciated.

Yes, it is an improvement - I guess as much as can be expected with material like this.

Maybe you can let me know what software you used to do this.
I've got quite a few clips that I'll need to correct for this film.

Thanks in advance,

Wayne

Return to posts index

Peter Groom
on Jul 1, 2010 at 2:48:42 pm

I used Izotope RX in de clipping mode. Preset "severe analogue distortion" and set threshold to 24.1. A little make up gain, a little bass roll off eq and a little hf increase to crispen it up a touch.
Not brilliant i know - but its pretty broken. Oh and i only processed the right channel. Id throw away the left completely unless someone pops up split mic on that side later that ive not been sent.

Cheers and good luck

Peter

dubbingmixer

Peter

Return to posts index

Wayne Marx
on Jul 1, 2010 at 3:55:38 pm

Thanks for the heads-up Peter, I'll take a look at that software to see if I can get any joy out of it.

Appreciate the guidance for this unfortunate situation.

Yours,

Wayne

Return to posts index

Ty Ford
on Jul 1, 2010 at 2:54:13 pm

Hello Wayne and welcome to the Cow Audio Forum.

I don't want to join Digg and the other version can't be read by my quicktime application.

Sorry.

Regards,

Ty Ford

Want better production audio?: Ty Ford's Audio Bootcamp Field Guide

Return to posts index

Steven Talley
on Jul 1, 2010 at 2:54:36 pm

The audio in the clip is fairly low in volume, so I'd normalize the file before working on cleaning it up.

Your left channel is clear, just a little roomy and has hum.
Try noise reduction and use a second or two of the wave that has the room noise only. then apply that to the entire left channel to remove that noise. Split and save as a mono file. EQ as needed to make it sound natural.
I'm using Audacity, a free audio editor. Works on Mac and Windows. http://audacity.sourceforge.net/

The right channel is over modulated and the distortion is not removable but can be reduced by lowering the EQ in the 500-1000 hertz range. I'd forget the right channel and just work with the left channel.
Good luck

Return to posts index

Peter Groom
on Jul 1, 2010 at 3:43:55 pm

The question was can anyone get rid of the distortion?
peter

Peter

Return to posts index

Wayne Marx
on Jul 1, 2010 at 3:57:17 pm

Thanks for replying Ty & Steven,

Ty, does this link work better for you?
http://tinyurl.com/33b67sz

And thanks for the advice Steven, I'll try your EQ advice.

Wayne

Return to posts index

Ty Ford
on Jul 1, 2010 at 4:50:33 pm

Hey Wayne,

Thanks for the extra effort. My Mac says it's not a quicktime file either.

Weird.

Tried opening it in iTunes and it'll open the app, but won't list the file.

You're getting good advice from everyone. If a file is crunched, it's really difficult to uncrunch it. When I talked to to the iZotope guys a few years ago. I told them that one thing the market needed, if possible, was a fix for when people try to jam line level into a mic level input. I sent them a file and asked if they'd give it their best shot. I'm not sure what they came up with.

Regards,

Ty Ford

Return to posts index

Wayne Marx
iZotope caused my FCP to crash
on Jul 4, 2010 at 10:20:06 am

Hi,

Thanks - just to let you know that it appears as if izotope interfered with my Final Cut Pro causing it not to open.

I'm not sure if it was just me or the way the software embedded itself in my system, but just a word to the wise out there in case it happens to them.

That being said, the software looks like an awesome tool so I will have to figure out a way to work with it - maybe on a non-Mac/FCP system, or whatever.

Thanks again for the help, gents.

Wayne

Return to posts index

Ty Ford
Re: iZotope caused my FCP to crash
on Jul 4, 2010 at 1:39:35 pm

Hello Wayne,

Sorry to hear that. I have FCP 7.0.2 and the iZotope software running on Mac 10.6 with no problems.

Perhaps you can google forums for a specific answer or contact iZotope.

Regards,

Ty Ford

Return to posts index

John Fishback
Re: iZotope caused my FCP to crash
on Jul 5, 2010 at 7:37:37 pm

I seem to remember something weird happening when I tried to install RX on the same computer as FCP. It was a while ago. I think the problem was caused by installing the audio units plugin. FCP will try to use that during it's startup and doesn't like it. Try just installing the standalone version and see if that helps. In the end I installed RX on our Pro Tools machine.

John

MacPro 8-core 2.8GHz 8 GB RAM OS 10.5.8 QT7.6.4 Kona 3 Dual Cinema 23 ATI Radeon HD 3870, 24" TV-Logic Monitor, ATTO ExpressSAS R380 RAID Adapter, PDE enclosure with 8-drive 6TB RAID 5
FCS 3 (FCP 7.0.2, Motion 4.0.2, Comp 3.5.2, DVDSP 4.2.2, Color 1.5.2)

Pro Tools HD w SYNC IO & 192 Digital I/O, Yamaha DM1000, Millennia Media HV-3C, Neumann U87, Schoeps Mk41 mics, Genelec Monitors, PrimaLT ISDN

Return to posts index

Ant Sprung
on Jul 14, 2010 at 4:27:49 pm

Hi Wayne,

my copy of mpeg streamclip opened this no problem - QT would not.

Onto the distortion - There is a miracle technology! It's a bold claim I know but hearing is believing in my case.

Cedar Audio - http://www.cedar-audio.com/

Great people - great technology - In the past I have sent them a short clip, like yours, which they worked on, sent back and asked if I would like to process the whole clip - send them back the files you need fixing and they turn them around quite quickly. Not too expensive either.

You can buy the technology but I believe it's VERY expensive. Great if you are handed problem rushes all the time I guess.

Give them a try - you won't believe your ears!

BTW their noise reduction stuff is A1 too - I've used their real time noise reduction units on many TV productions - the latency was a small problem but overall amazing!

Best of luck,

Ant.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]