FORUMS: list search recent posts

Replace Jack on ew-100 Lav Mic

COW Forums : Audio Professionals

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Erik Boles
Replace Jack on ew-100 Lav Mic
on Jun 30, 2010 at 7:24:32 am

I have several ew-100 G2 lav sets. on one of the body packs, the mic itself is cutting out. We have narrowed it down to where the mic wire goes into the jack.

I could replace the entire mic for $130, but why when it is as simple as replacing the jack? The problem is that I cannot find a wiring diagram for these lav mic's. Does anyone know of a resource?

thanks,

Erik

Return to posts index

Richard Crowley
Re: Replace Jack on ew-100 Lav Mic
on Jun 30, 2010 at 3:37:39 pm

If you have several, you can look at the others to see how they are wired. Or you can just look at the broken one to see how it is wired.

Return to posts index

Bill Davis
on Jul 1, 2010 at 5:22:32 am

I've got to also chime in and note that in the modern equipment era, soldering isn't what it used to be.

When I learned the craft, a typical circuit board had wired the size of small worms and even a guy like me with fingers the size of cigars and all the dexterity of an arthritic cloven hoof horse could solder.

Today, you're likely to strip the dang wires and find a little string of mono-filimaent lovingly wrapped by a foil connector the size and relative stability of a gnats pubic hair.

The last two times I've pulled out my soldering iron, then opened up something like a headphone cup or a mic casing I've put it back nearly as fast.

If you can DIY in this brave new modern era of electronics manufacturing, I bow to you.

For what it's worth.

Return to posts index

Ty Ford
on Jul 1, 2010 at 2:45:36 pm

Bill,

Soldering IRON! That's a big thing! Even my Weller gun is too big for these fixes. You need a little pencil and a big magnifying glass to do this.

Maybe ask Eric Toline down in Florida to see what he'd charge. He has done well with the fiddly bits for me in the past. He's a good friend and he knows the Sennheiser G2 and (I think) G3.

Eric Toline: 954-255-7628
audioetc@bellsouth.net

Regards,

Ty Ford

Want better production audio?: Ty Ford's Audio Bootcamp Field Guide

Return to posts index

Bill Davis
on Jul 3, 2010 at 3:28:50 am

Ty,

I wasn't the OP, but I'm still writing down Eric's name.

I guess I'm at the point in my career where if a set of cans start going intermittant - I'll pass them down to Mikey and Pull out the checkbook.

Like all other generations before his, current music seems designed less for memorability and more for the purpose of making the older generation suffer. Even the melodic stuff out there now like Owl City can drive you nuts when it's on in the house 24/7.

Take care, friend.

Return to posts index

Ty Ford
on Jul 3, 2010 at 10:50:20 am

Dear Bill,

A. Was it all that far to nuts from where you are now? :)

B. Isn't that what they said about Elvis?

Regards,

Ty Ford

PS Happy Holiday. I'm sure glad you're here to enrich this forum.

Return to posts index

Mark Palmos
on Nov 20, 2012 at 10:56:51 pm

[Bill Davis] "Today, you're likely to strip the dang wires and find a little string of mono-filimaent lovingly wrapped by a foil connector the size and relative stability of a gnats pubic hair. "

lol
its probably your eyesight mate!
but i know what you mean.

Return to posts index

Erik Boles
on Jul 6, 2010 at 6:51:44 pm

Thanks to all for the advice. I have been soldering for 30+ years now and that isn't my concern. I have done everything from board level repair to some of the smallest audio gear wires.

More importantly, I was looking for electrical diagrams of the G2/G3 series. they are molded plugs, so I cannot take it apart to see how it is wired, I need to chop the wire and put on a new plug, but I need to know which one goes to tip and which one to the barrel.

thanks,

Erik

Erik Boles
http://ErikBoles.com
http://twitter.com/ErikBoles

Return to posts index

Mark Palmos
on Nov 20, 2012 at 10:59:21 pm

[Erik Boles] "More importantly, I was looking for electrical diagrams of the G2/G3 series. they are molded plugs, so I cannot take it apart to see how it is wired, I need to chop the wire and put on a new plug, but I need to know which one goes to tip and which one to the barrel.
"

Erik did you find out, I have the same problem with mine.
I guess a scalpel and some patience might work ;)

Return to posts index

Ty Ford
on Nov 20, 2012 at 11:08:07 pm

My friend Eric Toline does this sort of work here in the states. He's frequently on the forum. Lemme see what I can do.

Regards,

Ty Ford
Cow Audio Forum Leader

Ty Ford Blog: Ty Ford's Blog

Return to posts index

Eric Toline
on Nov 21, 2012 at 2:56:09 am

Easy to do. Cut the molded plug off about 2" from the end of the cable. Strip the outer insulation from the short wire. Hook up a multimeter to the stripped wire and to the tip, if you get continuity then that wire in the long end goes to the tip of the new 3.5mm TRS plug. Do the same test, this time to the shield of the old plug with the untested conductor. Which ever one gives you continuuity to the shield goes to the shield of the new plug.

Eric

"I push the RECORD button and hope for the best"

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]