FORUMS: list search recent posts

wireless interference with induction burner?

COW Forums : Audio Professionals

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
nick szpara
wireless interference with induction burner?
on Jun 21, 2010 at 7:44:36 pm

Hi all,
I've been shooting a cooking show, and recently the host has switched to induction burners for all of the tabletop cooking demo's. They work by basically inducing a current in the cooking vessel via a giant electromagnet. I now get interference in her wireless lav when she is working over the burner. Depending on the frequency I have selected, it sounds either like noise or a cutting in-and-out of the signal. Does anyone have experience with getting a wireless to work around an induction burner?
Thanks,
Nick

Return to posts index

Richard Crowley
Re: wireless interference with induction burner?
on Jun 21, 2010 at 10:02:35 pm

I would experiment to see whether the problem is coming from the microphone picking up the interference, or whether the body pack transmitter is the sensitive part. I would also experiment to see how far away the mic and/or body pack has to be away from the burner to operate reliably. I would also experiment to see if the problem was worse if multiple burners are energized.

There may be no good solution to the problem besides going back to a more traditional cook top (or maybe adding a boom mic operator to the crew.) The data from the suggested experiments could be effective in making a case to the producer for whatever looks like the best solution.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]