FORUMS: list search recent posts

mounting transmitter

COW Forums : Audio Professionals

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Craig Alan
mounting transmitter
on Jun 21, 2010 at 5:12:37 am

What are some tricks for mounting the transmitter of a cordless mic on talent who is not wearing a belt or pants with loops. I have this problem a lot with girls/women. Although i've managed it using velcro, safety pins, gaffer tape, I thought someone might have specific solutions. Also would like a solution that can be fast. Often having something video taped is an after thought and their attention is on the live performance.

OSX 10.5.7; MAC Book PRO (EARLY 2008); Camcorders: Sony Z7U, Canon HV30, Sony vx2000/PD170, Canon xl2; Pana, Sony, and Canon consumer cams; FCP certified; write professionally for a variety of media; teach video production in L.A.

Return to posts index

Michael Martin
Re: mounting transmitter
on Jun 21, 2010 at 5:26:26 am

Hi Craig,
I use a womens bra strap inside the shirt, a waist strap that has a pocket for the transmitter works if they have long hair or loose clothing, there is a smaller one for the upper and lower leg. A lot of times I've been able to run the lav cable down a pant leg and strap it to an ankle or drop it into a boot.

-Michael Martin
Martin Media Designs
Location Sound/Audio Post Production/Sound Design

Return to posts index

Craig Alan
on Jun 22, 2010 at 6:34:18 pm

Thanks Michael,

Are you using a commercial waist strap? I see a couple of brands on BH but I can't tell if they would fit the sennheiser transmitter.

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/search?Ntt=waist+strap+for+transmitter&N=0&In...

Are you cutting off the cups of the bra, leaving the strap? And then what? You use the belt clip of the transmitter clipped on to the strap?

I don't see the "smaller" strap for the lower leg though this waist strap claims it works for either.

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/503733-REG/Petrol_PWTB_L_BLACK_PWTB_T....

Do you have a different link/product?

OSX 10.5.7; MAC Book PRO (EARLY 2008); Camcorders: Sony Z7U, Canon HV30, Sony vx2000/PD170, Canon xl2; Pana, Sony, and Canon consumer cams; FCP certified; write professionally for a variety of media; teach video production in L.A.

Return to posts index

Michael Martin
on Jun 22, 2010 at 6:47:36 pm

Honestly, I don't know what brand the straps are, I bought them at Location Sound. If you call them they could tell you. If the ones you are looking at are not specific to a particular transmitter then they should work since the material stretches.

I'm not sure what you mean by cutting the cups of the bra, not sure why you'd do that. Yes, I use the belt clip to hang it from the bra strap in the back.

I think I misled you, I should have just said that there is a smaller strap for the leg in general. The leg strap should work for either.

-Michael Martin
Martin Media Designs

Return to posts index

Craig Alan
on Jun 22, 2010 at 8:24:18 pm

Now I get it. I thought you meant the strap of a bra as a general-purpose strap. I'll check out location sound. I'm starting to think of just getting a large piece of Velcro strapping that can double back on itself and clip the transmitter on that.

Have you had any problems if the antenna is underneath clothes?

Return to posts index

Ty Ford
on Jun 21, 2010 at 1:17:05 pm

Hello Craig and welcome to the Cow Audio Forum.

Perhaps you could give us more information as to the specifics of your dilemma.

What live performances are you referring to? Where? How many?

Regards,

Ty Ford

Want better production audio?: Ty Ford's Audio Bootcamp Field Guide

Return to posts index

Craig Alan
on Jun 22, 2010 at 6:38:16 pm

Hi Ty,

No, just in general. From stage to interviews to speakers in front of group. Sometimes the transmitter needs to be hidden and sometimes just comfortable. Though the whole purpose of the lav is to be as inconspicuous as possible.

Return to posts index

Michael Martin
on Jun 22, 2010 at 11:33:14 pm

The Senn G3 has a flexible antennae so its easy to tape down or just tuck in.

Return to posts index

Craig Alan
on Jun 23, 2010 at 2:36:23 am

And being inside clothing or a bag or pocket will not effect performance?

Return to posts index

Michael Martin
on Jun 23, 2010 at 3:39:32 am

Occasionally I get a bad signal if someone sits on the transmitter or smothers it but clothing is never an issue.

-Michael Martin
Martin Media Designs

Return to posts index

Ty Ford
on Jun 23, 2010 at 2:50:23 am

Hello Michael and Craig and welcome to the Cow Audio Forum.

You will lose some range by tucking in too far. The human body absorbs RF energy from the transmitter. Not enough to fry your (their) goods, but I'm pretty sure there is some minor effect.

Some folks like to spin the transmitter so the antenna naturally hangs down (for limp antennae). Most transmitter clips let you do that.

Regards,

Ty Ford

Want better production audio?: Ty Ford's Audio Bootcamp Field Guide

Return to posts index

John Livings
on Jun 23, 2010 at 5:41:31 am

Hi Craig,

Not the most professional, However I bought mine at Big 5 sporting goods on sale for $2.00 each.

http://www.sportsteam.com/6230-Baseball-Belt.aspx

I bought 12 white and 12 black, i only use a total of 10 at 1 time, however if we have to Share body packs
it gets the job done and the belts can be adjusted in a couple of seconds.

John

Return to posts index

Jordan Wolf
on Jun 24, 2010 at 4:52:19 am

The bra strap is popular as (most times) it's already in place for you to use.

In situations where the talent is wearing form-fitting clothing and transmitter bulges are a no-no, you could use an ACE Bandage wrapped on the inner thigh or leg. You could also separate the transmitter from the body if the talent is wearing a hat or other similar accessory.

Also, if the talent sweats (at all, really...yes, this includes women) you should use protection - unlubricated condoms are cheap, available at many places, and are used widely in the theatrical field.

Wolf
<><

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]