FORUMS: list search recent posts

best event (doc style w/noisey environ) between 3 shotguns?

COW Forums : Audio Professionals

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Richard Pelusi
best event (doc style w/noisey environ) between 3 shotguns?
on Jun 13, 2010 at 2:37:25 am

I have a AG-HMC40P and love it. But the costs of upgrading it's pro audio capabilities have been a step-by-step process. I now own the AG-MYA30G, XLR Microphone Adapter and it is now time to get a quality mic to make it functional. I own the Sennheiser ME64/K6P combo and it is obviously designed (and originally purchased) for boom poles and not slick handheld operation. A question to those in the audio-know...should I buy the ME66 capsule or the other low profile Panasonic offerings - AG-MC200G and MIC150? Or is there another better option to suggest?

Return to posts index

Ty Ford
Re: best event (doc style w/noisey environ) between 3 shotguns?
on Jun 14, 2010 at 12:23:08 pm

Hello Richard and welcome to the Cow Audio Forum.

Before you bother to upgrade the mic, put the 64 on the camera and see how much of the camera noise it may pickup. There's no tape transport, so you won't hear that, but try the zoom to make sure the zoom motor isn't too loud.

The me64/66 are student-grade mics that make their way into indie and industrial kits, but there are better shotguns.

Before you buy, think about how you want to use the mic. Good audio seldom happens on a camera-mounted mic. Shotgun mics are best used on a boom and two feet or less from the person speaking. The farther you get from the person talking, the benefit from higher quality mics rolls off pretty fast. That doesn't mean you should just buy the cheap one and go with it. What it means is you really need to think about what you want to mic and choose the best practices for the job.

It may be that you really do need to boom the mic. If your response is, "but I'm a one man operation", my response is, not any more if you want good audio. Welcome to the next quality level of video production. At some point we all need to grow to get to the next level. I can't, in good conscience, recommend camera mounted micing because there are too many situations in which that technique results in audio that's not so good. Each situation will differ due to distance from the mic, the acoustics of the space and the ambient noise.

Maybe you can give us more details.

Hope this helps.

Regards,

Ty Ford

Want better production audio?: Ty Ford's Audio Bootcamp Field Guide

Return to posts index

Sam Mallery
on Jun 14, 2010 at 1:53:43 pm

I don't think you should get the ME66 capsule. It's not really that different from the ME64. I also don't think you should get either of those Panasonic mics.

You should get a camera mountable shock mount for the mic (like the R0DE SM3 or the Pearstone DUSM-1). You should also get some wind protection (the Rycote standard hole softie with 19 - 22mm hole fits the ME64). You should also get a boompole, a 25 XLR cable, a set of Sony MDR7506 headphones, and like Ty suggests - a person to wear the phones and operate the pole. The shock mounts I mentioned earlier will also fasten onto a boompole.

http://www.sam-mallery.com

Return to posts index

Bob Cole
on Jun 14, 2010 at 2:58:00 pm

We've been rehashing the "hire a pro with a boom pole" thread endlessly, so yes, do that. But the boom op has to be really talented and dedicated - aiming correctly, keeping the mic out of your shot, handling the pole quietly, etc.

Failing access to a GOOD boom op, just buy a relatively cheap wireless/lav combo. I've been pleased by the Sennheiser EW2 and EW3.

If you insist on a camera mic, the advice about the shock mount is very well-taken.

Return to posts index

Richard Pelusi
on Jun 18, 2010 at 2:26:51 pm

thanks for the replies, Ty, Sam and Bob...

My work involves event videography for the most part. I originally purchased the M66 to make short films and haven't got around to it yet. I am a relatively experienced film/video person, just not very audio-wise. I will always use a boom and operator when I can afford it or the scenario calls for it, but I need something on-board the camera that can help get good sound when I am solo. I realize that my close proximity is important, but the internal mic on the Panasonic AG-HMC40P is a joke. I haven't heard of the R0DE SM3 or the Pearstone DUSM-1, so I'll research and consider those (with the addition of wind protection). Thanks again for the responses and if there is any other suggestions for my rig's sweetness, please have at me....

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]