FORUMS: list search recent posts

Lav or Shotgun mic for use on table stand?

COW Forums : Audio Professionals

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
david payne
Lav or Shotgun mic for use on table stand?
on Jun 11, 2010 at 9:08:01 pm

Hi all,

I want to improve the way I record wedding speeches and was just about to buy a table stand to use with a shotgun mic which I'd then connect through my sennheiser EW-100 wireless system. I'd use this in conjunction with the Sennheiser ME66 on the other camera...

BUT...

i just realised I have a Sennheiser ME-2 mic (the one that came with the EW-100) spare... Would it be useless to use this instead of a shotgun mic? Perhaps fixing the mic to the stand and making it lighter.

I assume that lav mics are degisned to be closer to the audio source, that is the persons mouth than the shotgun mics but just wanted this confirmed by one of you helpful audio pro's!

Also does anyone have any idea of a way to attach the Sennheiser wireless transmitter to a table stand like the one below to make it one unit to pick up and move down the table?

http://www.dak.com/reviews/imagesR4/3240_MicStand_Table.jpg

Any help on this would be much appreciated and hopefully I can buy what I need before my next wedding on Saturday!

Cheers guys.

Return to posts index

Richard Crowley
Re: Lav or Shotgun mic for use on table stand?
on Jun 12, 2010 at 12:28:32 am

What shotgun mic are you asking about? Does the shotgun mic require phantom power? Does your transmitter provide phantom power? (Phantom power, P48, is not the same as "plug-in power" commonly used for lav mics.

Is your shotgun mic a real line-gradient interference tube? Or is it just a long hyper-cardioid. If it is a hypercardioid then maybe it will work indoors, but true line-gradient shotgun mics typically don't work very well indoors.

Those little tripod stands are rather flimsy for putting something like a shotgun mic on, and there is no vertical riser that you could use gaffers tape to attach the transmitter box.

Lav mics are not necessarily designed for close use. I wouldn't just assume that a lav mic is unsuitable at longer distances. Now it is possible that you may have to trim the transmitter gain hotter if the mic will be used at a longer distance. But that would be the case for any kind of mic.

Return to posts index

Ty Ford
on Jun 12, 2010 at 2:50:13 am

Hello David and welcome to the Cow AUdio Forum.

How many people need to be recorded by that mic?
How far away will this mic be?
Will it never be outside?

Regards,

Ty Ford

Want better production audio?: Ty Ford's Audio Bootcamp Field Guide

Return to posts index

david payne
on Jun 12, 2010 at 9:35:00 am

hi guys,

I personally have a sennheiser ME66 on board and am unsure of the model of the mic I intend to use on the table as I'd be buying one epsecially for it (borrowing one at first so can find out the type today)

but lets say i use the ME66 on a table stand, would that need any extra power? If so could you suggest a decent mic that would work on the table (directly in front of speaker, but the speaker would be stood up so mic will be about 1-1.5m away). it would never be used outside and I intend it to be passed down the table from one wedding speaker to the next so will only ever be recording one person.

Richard, thanks for your mind blowing questions!! hehe. I'm not ignoring them I'll find out the mic I intend on borrowing as a test and get the spec of it and then come back to you.

Thanks again to both of you

Return to posts index

david payne
on Jun 12, 2010 at 10:06:10 am

the two mics I have at my disposal for this are audio technika AT897 and sennheiser MK300

or I could buy a new one upon your recommendation!

Return to posts index

david payne
on Jun 12, 2010 at 10:55:28 am

also would this mic stand be better? It appears to have a weighted bottom so should be more stable

http://images5.thomann.de/pics/bdb/152925/595003_800.jpg

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]