FORUMS: list search recent posts

Headphone Amp Recommendation

COW Forums : Audio Professionals

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
John Livings
Headphone Amp Recommendation
on Jun 9, 2010 at 8:51:09 pm

Hello All,

I am looking for a recommendation for a 8-10 channel Headphone Amp.

Has Anyone used the Rolls RA102 ? I can't find any reviews on it.

I have tried 2 Behringer HA-8000, #1-channel 5,6,7,8 the noise was to loud to use,
#2-channels 7,8 noise was to loud to use, I was able to return both units.

I like the idea of using 1 rack space only.

I will be using the headphones to communicate with video, audio and lighting people, All of them in
fixed positions with little movement, Each one on a 100 foot headphone cable from the Amp.

My budget is around $200.00 for the Amp.

Any advise will be very helpful.

Thanks, John

Return to posts index

Ty Ford
Re: Headphone Amp Recommendation
on Jun 10, 2010 at 2:48:55 am

Hello John and welcome to the Cow Audio Forum.

I want a RED camera for $500, so we're even. :)

I use this: http://www.rane.com/hc6s.html

It's still a few channels short and you don't want to be running headphone cable 100' anyway. If you don't want any talkback circuits, what you want is a distribution amp that has X number of boxes with headphone jacks and volume controls. You won't find it for $200. If you do, please let us know.

Regards,

Ty Ford

Want better production audio?: Ty Ford's Audio Bootcamp Field Guide

Return to posts index

Ty Ford
on Jun 10, 2010 at 3:44:03 am

John,

Give it a go, Rolls doesn't have an iron clad reputation, but it's the right price. But I think trying to get 100' is going to be a problem. The amps may not have enough jam to push the signal that far. Maybe with very efficient headphones like the Sony MDR 7506. I'm guessing though that headphones like the AKG 240, which are very nice but very inefficient may cause the amp to be strained into distortion before a good level is reached. Plus, if the user wants to adjust the level, how are they going to do that?

Regards,

Ty Ford

Return to posts index

John Livings
on Jun 10, 2010 at 4:36:38 am

Hi Ty,

I thought 8 X 100 feet would be a problem with the Behringer HA8000, But it's not.

The noise i talked about in the last 2-4 channels (5,6,7,8) was a problem with the channels, Not the cable
runs or the Mic. The noise was present with a gain setting of "0" on those channels without a mic Plugged in and the headphones Plugged straight into the HA 8000.

The gain adjustment is set to less than 1/2 the range (whatever the numbers mean?) on the Mic (SM58) and all the headsets. (0-6 range set to less than 3) and that setup worked fine.

I am using a combination of Sennheiser HD 280 Pro (5) and Sony MDR 7506 (3)

I use 100 foot XLR Mic Cables with an adapter on each end (1/4 TRS M to XLR F) and a XLR M to 1/4 TRS F that goes to the 1/4 inch TRS, Stereo Headphone Jack.

Since there is no talk-back, I must set up everything during Sound Check (And I really don't want 7-9
people trying to talk to me)

If the Rolls RA102 works, that would be the ticket (If all the channels on the Behringer HA8000 worked, That would have been Just fine for me)

Anyway Ty, Thanks for your input, I still would like to get a Review on the Rolls RA102 if anybody has used one, Before I actually order one.

Again Thanks, John

Return to posts index

Sam Mallery
on Jun 10, 2010 at 2:18:54 pm

I use a Samson C-que 8. It's a pretty inexpensive way to go. I'm happy with it. I'd rather have something more solid, like Ty's Rane, but for the money I can't complain about my Samson. One thing I like about the C-que is that it has two ways to input sound. You can connect separate left and right 1/4" jacks, or use the "Inject" input on the front, which is a single stereo TRS input. That's been handy.

There are four outputs that have individual volume controls, and four additional outputs on the back that don't have a volume control. That limitation may make the Rolls a better choice for your needs. All Rolls products are made in the USA, which I think is a pretty respectable thing in this day and age.

http://www.sam-mallery.com

Return to posts index

John Livings
on Jun 11, 2010 at 4:24:56 am

Thanks Sam,

I ordered the unit (Rolls RA-102) from B&H today, If it works as well as the "good " channels on the Behringer, I will be happy.

Ty, I will post back after I test this Amp out.

Regards, John

Return to posts index

Ty Ford
on Jun 11, 2010 at 4:48:59 am

John,

Thanks!

Regards,

Ty Ford

Return to posts index

John Livings
on Jun 16, 2010 at 8:56:20 pm

Hi Ty,
I received the Rolls RA-102 today, Not nearly the quality of the Behringer, e.g.; High noise Floor and
Low Headroom.

I will try to return it as it is useless for my use (Headphone Amp).

John

Return to posts index

Ty Ford
on Jun 16, 2010 at 9:12:17 pm

John,

On behalf of all Cow Audio Forum participants, thanks for taking the lead on this.

Regards,

Ty Ford

Return to posts index

John Livings
on Jul 2, 2010 at 5:23:47 am

Hi Ty and All,

Just a quick update on my search for a , Under $200.00 , 8-10 channel , 1-Rack Space, Headphone Amp.

I went to a store and "Tested" a Headphone Amp, A Samson S-Phone 4X2 Channels(8-Headphones).

This Amp works like it should, No Noise at "0" gain and very little noise if you Max out the gain.

Clean, Clear Sound. No problem with all 8 outputs running 100 foot mic cables.

I use a pre-amp on a SM-58 and everyone can hear me as I speak in a Very soft voice or whisper.

The only drawback for me is, as far as I can tell, No mic pre amp, and I must use 1 channel of my board.

I would have been just as happy with the Behringer or Rolls, If they had not been defective.

Again Thank you Ty and Sam for your input.

John

Return to posts index

Troy Majeska
on Oct 14, 2010 at 2:27:26 am

In response to John,

I am in the market for the Samson C-Que 8 and thinking (but have not tried) that I can use the front Injection input with a stand-a-lone mic and a small mic pre, I can use it to be able to talk to the talent without having to give up that precious mic input on my interface.

Does anyone know if this will work? Will the mono TS input plug be a problem?

Troy

Return to posts index

Ty Ford
on Oct 14, 2010 at 3:03:16 am

Hello Troy and welcome to the Cow Audio Forum.

The insert input is a TRS stereo input at line level (either 0 VU or -10, it's difficult to say).

A mono TS mic input would not likely work because its level is mic, not line and because the required plug should be a bridged TRS plug with mono signal applied to tip and ring, and ground to sleeve.

The signal should be a line level.

Regards,

Ty Ford

Return to posts index

Troy Majeska
on Oct 14, 2010 at 3:31:04 am

Thanks for the quick response Ty,

Do you think that it would work if I bridged the TRS plug and ran a mic into a pre amp to get me a line level?

I am just trying to find a way that I can cheaply do a talk back system without buying a real monitor setup. Since the talent will have their mic in front of them and will be on headphones, I just need a way to talk to them without taking up one of my mic ins on my interface.

Sorry if these are elementary questions, I am a nube and am seeking to learn more about audio systems. Maybe there is another way that I just don't see - I am open.

Thanks again,

Troy

Return to posts index

Ty Ford
on Oct 14, 2010 at 9:28:38 am

Troy,

In a block diagram sort of way, it certainly seems possible. And in 2 channel mode (per the instructions) you can balance between the insert and the main audio with a knob. I don't know if that'll give you what you want elsewhere.

If the booth is the only place you need the system, perhaps a Rane Hc6s may also work;
http://www.rane.com/hc6s.html

Feed program to one input, feed talkback mic (with switch) to the other and run in mono mode so your talent hears both sources in both ears. As a VO guy myself, you'd prolly want the switch to stay out of the talent's ears during takes.

Looks like you could do the same with the que 8, and not even bother with the inject feature. Again, you'd need a preamp and switch for the talkback.

Regards,

Ty Ford

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]