FORUMS: list search recent posts

connectivity

COW Forums : Audio Professionals

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
roger bootle
connectivity
on Jun 6, 2010 at 9:36:46 pm

hi

i have a new mac book pro running final cut studio. i also have pico peak program meters ( http://www.murraypro.com/audio-ppm.htm ) which i want to connect so i can meter sound when mixing in final cut or sound track pro. do you know what hardware i need to do this? the ppm has xlr inputs and outputs. i'd like to keep costs low. any help appreciated.

thanks.

Return to posts index

Ty Ford
Re: connectivity
on Jun 7, 2010 at 2:14:35 am

Hello Roger and welcome to the Cow Audio Forum.

You need some sort of IO box with a card that has balanced audio outs. There are lots of them out there. Aja, BlackMagic and DeckLink come to mind. I don't know if anyone makes just an audio I/O. I've only seen audio and video together. But I think most require cards that don't fit in your MacBook. Check those three companies to see if they have a solution that doesn't require a card.

You also could probably take the unbalanced headphone output but then what would you use to hear what's going on?

But since the meters on FCP are peak reading, why bother other than to have another neat thingee to look at?

What level does your meter box expect to see, line or mic?

Regards,

Ty Ford

Want better production audio?: Ty Ford's Audio Bootcamp Field Guide

Return to posts index

roger bootle
on Jun 7, 2010 at 9:15:04 pm

hi
thanks for the response ty. i want to meter line to get a better mix. i'm wondering if i get a matrox mxo2 i'll be able to integrate the ppm?

it's common practice here in the uk to use ppm metering and what you get used to...and they are cool to look at...seriously, i find i get a better mix using them and want to find a way to use them with my fly-away kit.

thanks.

Return to posts index

Ty Ford
on Jun 7, 2010 at 9:51:59 pm

Roger,

I get it. I've seen any number of USB to XLR input thingees, but so far no USB to XLR output thingees, That would make life pretty simple for you.

Regards,

Ty Ford

Want better production audio?: Ty Ford's Audio Bootcamp Field Guide

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]