COW Forums : Audio Professionals

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Kay Edwards
STP 3 / Levelator Combo
on Jun 2, 2010 at 6:38:20 am

STP 3
LEVELATOR
FCS 09

Final product: DVD/BD (maybe limited th. fingers crossed ;)
Duration: 2 hours / Mainly dialogue

From FCP 7, I've exported all tracks to separate AIFF files, and opened them in a multitrack STP 3 project. (Love the technology.)

The overall volume/amplitude of the source is low. Planning to first do a basic audio "clean", then run it through LEVELATOR and open the results with STP 3. I did a quick test -> the volume is too loud. Here's the question:

Can I adjust the amplitude of the output in STP 3? What's the best amp level for DVD & BD? -8db, -6dB?

Or shall I simply run it through Levelator, adjust amplitude, then do the cleaning (mainly in between sentences)? Or is there a better way?

Thank you, ALL!

Return to posts index

Ty Ford
Re: STP 3 / Levelator Combo
on Jun 2, 2010 at 1:16:18 pm

Hello Kay and welcome to the Cow Audio Forum.

Hard to say exactly what's going on in text. Too loud? Is it clipping or do you jsut have your speakers turned up to hear the original low level audio?

Noise reduction. I'm very careful about pushing people into NR if they don't have pretty good ears.

Levelator, if the whole track is low, but doesn't vary much, you probably don't need Levelator.

Too many questions.

Regards,

Ty Ford

Want better production audio?: Ty Ford's Audio Bootcamp Field Guide

Return to posts index

John Fishback
Re: STP 3 / Levelator Combo
on Jun 3, 2010 at 8:19:09 pm

Levelator is intended for speech. It doesn't do well with music. I wish it gave users access to threshold levels, amount of compression, etc. so we could tweak it. While it is useful if you need a quick & dirty leveling job, it doesn't replace taking your time to do a proper mix.
STP3 gives you complete control of levels. It has all the tools you need to control your audio. As for DVD levels, there's a lot of discussion about that in the FCP and DVDSP forums. Search there and you'll find loads of info.

John

MacPro 8-core 2.8GHz 8 GB RAM OS 10.5.8 QT7.6.4 Kona 3 Dual Cinema 23 ATI Radeon HD 3870, 24" TV-Logic Monitor, ATTO ExpressSAS R380 RAID Adapter, PDE enclosure with 8-drive 6TB RAID 5
FCS 3 (FCP 7.0.2, Motion 4.0.2, Comp 3.5.2, DVDSP 4.2.2, Color 1.5.2)

Pro Tools HD w SYNC IO & 192 Digital I/O, Yamaha DM1000, Millennia Media HV-3C, Neumann U87, Schoeps Mk41 mics, Genelec Monitors, PrimaLT ISDN

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]