FORUMS: list search recent posts

Rode Videomic/Vixia HG21 issues

COW Forums : Audio Professionals

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Harrison Sim
Rode Videomic/Vixia HG21 issues
on Jun 1, 2010 at 5:32:26 pm

I currently use a Canon Vixia HG21 and Rode Videomic. I've been having problems with the videomic picking up camera noise even worse than the on-camera microphone. I've tried messing with the input, using the mic attenuator, and calling Rode, all to no avail. Rode recommended a discontinued, expensive product to kill the auto-gain on my camera. I've looked through the camera manual, to no help.
It seems that the issue is the auto-gain on the camera, as it registers the videomic as too quiet, and continues to boost input to the point where even slight contact with the camera (or even the tripod the camera's on) produced a Hell of a lot of unwanted noise.
Other recommendations have included a boom pole and a pistol grip. However, it seems that that alternative defeats the point of the product itself, which is supposed to work as a mounted microphone.
If there is a way to kill the auto-gain, or some other technique that addresses this problem, but still has it so that the mic remains on the camera, I'd be extremely appreciative. Any other solution, period, would be awesome as well.

Thank you,
Harrison.

Return to posts index

John Fishback
Re: Rode Videomic/Vixia HG21 issues
on Jun 1, 2010 at 7:28:06 pm

You could try to find an iso mount for the mic. The real solution, however, is to turn off the auto-gain. This is often called AGC, so search the manual for that. It's hard to believe there isn't a way to turn this off.

John

MacPro 8-core 2.8GHz 8 GB RAM OS 10.5.8 QT7.6.4 Kona 3 Dual Cinema 23 ATI Radeon HD 3870, 24" TV-Logic Monitor, ATTO ExpressSAS R380 RAID Adapter, PDE enclosure with 8-drive 6TB RAID 5
FCS 3 (FCP 7.0.2, Motion 4.0.2, Comp 3.5.2, DVDSP 4.2.2, Color 1.5.2)

Pro Tools HD w SYNC IO & 192 Digital I/O, Yamaha DM1000, Millennia Media HV-3C, Neumann U87, Schoeps Mk41 mics, Genelec Monitors, PrimaLT ISDN

Return to posts index

Harrison Sim
on Jun 1, 2010 at 7:54:00 pm

Unfortunately, the manual specifies nothing about AGC, and after spending quite a bit of time looking through the HG21 settings, I haven't found a way to turn it off.

Return to posts index

Ty Ford
on Jun 2, 2010 at 1:11:32 pm

Hello Harrison and welcome to the Cow Audio Forum.

John gave you good advice. There are some cameras that A make a lot of noise and B have AGC that can not be defeated. That's a bad combination, but there's no good way to know you're going to run into that if you have no prior experience with it. I have a Rode VideoMic and have found uses for it that work just fine.

Check to be sure the mic's pad is not turned on. That would lower the sensitivity of the mic and might increase the problem.

You have crossed a border into new territory. Typically, camera mounted mics are not the hallmark of great sounding audio. Especially in your case. It's time to raise your game with both camera and mics.
Congratulations!

Regards,

Ty Ford

Want better production audio?: Ty Ford's Audio Bootcamp Field Guide

Return to posts index

Harrison Sim
on Jun 3, 2010 at 12:51:18 am

How to check if the mic's pad is on or off? I apologize for my lack of expertise, I'm 17 and pretty new to this field.

Thanks,
Harrison

Return to posts index

Ty Ford
on Jun 3, 2010 at 11:54:53 am

Hello Harrison,

No apology required for age. Any one at any age is usually at a loss for some sort of information. That's why these forums are so well attended.

Page ten of the VideoMic manual describes the mic pad in detail.

Regards,

Ty Ford

Return to posts index

Harrison Sim
on Jun 3, 2010 at 3:11:04 pm

Ahhhhh. I see. Yes, I tried fiddling with that and it didn't change anything. There was less audio, but the sounds of handling the camera were just as present.
Oh, and may I ask, what is an ISO mount?

Thanks again.

Return to posts index

Ty Ford
on Jun 3, 2010 at 3:45:57 pm

Well it DID change something, the pad reduces the sensitivity of the mic so it can be used in louder environments.

Your original issue is handling noise. Stop and thing about it. Why would reducing the mics sensitivity change just the handling noise? It wouldn't.

ISO is short for isolation mount. Those are the rubber bands on your mount. If the camera is noisy enough no isolation mounts will work any better. You need to get the mic away from the camera.

Regards,

Ty Ford

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]