FORUMS: list search recent posts

Experience with Cascade Fathead Ribbon Mic

COW Forums : Audio Professionals

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Jeffrey Ellis
Experience with Cascade Fathead Ribbon Mic
on May 28, 2010 at 5:50:11 pm

Hi--

So if you're on a real budget, I just wanted to know what you folks think of the Cascade Fathead? Or if you know of something in the same general price range you like better?

Best,
J.

Return to posts index

Ty Ford
Re: Experience with Cascade Fathead Ribbon Mic
on May 28, 2010 at 5:59:51 pm

Hello Jeffrey and welcome to the Cow Audio Forum.

Give us a hint. How much is the cascade?

Regards,

Ty Ford

Want better production audio?: Ty Ford's Audio Bootcamp Field Guide

Return to posts index

Jeffrey Ellis
on May 28, 2010 at 6:23:51 pm

Hi, Ty--

Drat! So you haven't heard of it… I think it goes for about $300 or so.

Return to posts index

Ty Ford
on May 28, 2010 at 7:42:45 pm

I've heard of it. I have friend here in Baltimore who has two and likes them. I just wasn't sure what they cost.

Regards,

Ty Ford

Return to posts index

Jeffrey Ellis
on May 28, 2010 at 7:49:01 pm

So can I consider that a good recommendation? Or do you personally like something else in this category?

Return to posts index

John Fishback
on May 28, 2010 at 9:37:39 pm

What will you be recording with it?

John

MacPro 8-core 2.8GHz 8 GB RAM OS 10.5.8 QT7.6.4 Kona 3 Dual Cinema 23 ATI Radeon HD 3870, 24" TV-Logic Monitor, ATTO ExpressSAS R380 RAID Adapter, PDE enclosure with 8-drive 6TB RAID 5
FCS 3 (FCP 7.0.2, Motion 4.0.2, Comp 3.5.2, DVDSP 4.2.2, Color 1.5.2)

Pro Tools HD w SYNC IO & 192 Digital I/O, Yamaha DM1000, Millennia Media HV-3C, Neumann U87, Schoeps Mk41 mics, Genelec Monitors, PrimaLT ISDN

Return to posts index

Jeffrey Ellis
on May 28, 2010 at 10:27:52 pm

Heh. It's actually a birthday present for my nephew. He's starting a small pro studio in his home. He's talented, but I'm not sure all that educated. He asked for this mic, and I just wanted to know if he was making a good decision.

Return to posts index

Jeffrey Ellis
on May 28, 2010 at 10:28:14 pm

I think he mentioned strings…?

Return to posts index

Bill Davis
on May 29, 2010 at 8:28:53 am

Generally speaking, ribbon mics, IMO have two dominant characteristics.

The FIRST is their sensitivity. A well designed ribbon will be VERY efficient at translating the pressure gradient waves of sound into electrical energy that can then be amplified and stored, or whatever.

The OTHER paired characteristic is their FRAGILITY. Traditionally, It's VERY easy to F**k up a ribbon mic. You can do it by banging them against something. Dropping them. Even putting them in front of something that's too loud.

That's the story of CLASSIC ribbon mics. Modern versions MAY be different. I don't know.

Back in the day, I also learned you can fry a ribbon mic them by applying an improper charge to the wrong circuits within the mic. Ribbons are often the star in stories where some poor sap wired the connector wrong - flipped on the circuit - and watched a puff of smoke rise because someone got the wiring wrong and sent the wrong voltage directly across the RIBBON.

All that said, this stuff is going to ENTIRELY depend on the design and craftsmanship of the folks creating the mic.

Your post indicated that the person who wants the mic is young.

I'd think that this mic type would be a POOR choice for someone young. This very BIASED view is based on the fact that I have a late teenager at home and HE can damage a HAMMER without trying very hard.

I wouldn't expect a Ribbon mic to last more than a month in his hands.

Your kid may be the opposite. And these folks might have crossed a ribbon mic with a TANK for all I know.

But that's my honest opinion on first hearing.

Good luck.

Return to posts index

Ty Ford
on May 29, 2010 at 2:39:26 pm

Jeffrey,

Nephews can be 12 or 43, or somewhere in between, or not. Bill's unvarnished truth says more about his experience than of mine. I bought a ribbon mic in my early 20 and did OK with it for tents of years.

Early ribbons were not as sensitive as the ones we have today. By sensitive, I don't mean fragile. Sensitivity is a measured attribute of a mic that indicates how much voltage it will swing in picking up sound. Newer ribbons are more sensitive, in general, which means you don't have to crank up the preamp to get the signal you need.

On strings? yea, and usually horns, bag pipes, and any instrument that could stand some smoothing, Nasty guitar amps canalso benefit.

Regards,

Ty Ford

Return to posts index

Jeffrey Ellis
on May 29, 2010 at 3:45:58 pm

Hi, Guys--

Actually, he's a (fairly) responsible young man in his twenties who's turning out to be a rather talented engineer and musician. But what he isn't at the moment is very well-educated as far as studio operations. So I just wanted some good expert advice if the mic he wanted is really what he needs. And that's what I got :)

Looks like this would be a very nice birthday present as a small addition to his studio, and thanks to everyone for helping me.

Return to posts index

Sam Mallery
on Jun 2, 2010 at 5:01:39 pm

I just got into ribbon mics recently. I wish I had bit the bullet years ago. They're really interesting to work with for recording music. That's a super nice birthday present!

http://www.sam-mallery.com

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]