FORUMS: list search recent posts

PMD661 hand noise

COW Forums : Audio Professionals

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Maria Gilardin
PMD661 hand noise
on May 27, 2010 at 5:54:26 pm

I just bought my first PMD661 (new) and, in my first tests out of the box, encountered hand noise on the recording, both from simply handling the case of the recorder and from touching the record level pot.

This happens both when using the internal microphone and with a Beyer omni connected via XLR.

Advice appreciated!
Maria

Return to posts index

Ty Ford
Re: PMD661 hand noise
on May 28, 2010 at 1:44:33 am

Hello Maria and welcome to the Cow Audio Forum.

With the internal mics, you'll have this. Do me a favor, plug in the beyer omni and a pair of headphones into the PMD661. When you record, tap the beyer to make certain that the handling noise you're hearing is actually coming from the beyer.

Please consult your new manual. Page 18 and 43 should describe in detail how to operate the PMG661 with an external mic.

Regards,

Ty Ford

Want better production audio?: Ty Ford's Audio Bootcamp Field Guide

Return to posts index

Maria Gilardin
on May 28, 2010 at 5:03:18 pm

Thank you Ty!
You are right - I had the noise because I had not de-activated the internal mic function. Now the Beyer sound is clean.

But you did say you DO have that noise with built in mics? Then all those nice ads about whipping out your recorder and using the internal mic on the fly are a bit misleading??
Maria

Return to posts index

Ty Ford
on May 28, 2010 at 5:58:34 pm

Maria,

You're welcome.

I think they cater to a consumer or semi-pro market. There are mics that have more handling noise than others. Of course, if you don't move your fingers, you have no hand noise! :)

That's not an impossible thing to do. You just need to be aware of how sensitive a device is to being handled.

Regards,

Ty Ford

Want better production audio?: Ty Ford's Audio Bootcamp Field Guide

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]