FORUMS: list search recent posts

sennheiser G3

COW Forums : Audio Professionals

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
anthony Faulkner
sennheiser G3
on May 20, 2010 at 6:15:01 am

I bought some lavalier mics for video work.
Sennheiser 112G3 kit

I have been struggling to get good results from them, I seem to get a lot extra noises if the subject moves at all. Popping and breath sounds. I have been messing with location of the mic, but it has been relatively difficult to get the thing hidden from view and still get a good quality signal.

Are there any other mics i should be looking at that i can hide better?

Any advice you have on this subject I would appreciate.

Return to posts index

Peter Groom
Re: sennheiser G3
on May 20, 2010 at 10:02:15 am

Hiding mics and getting good usable sound is one of the hardest things to do, and recordists all have their own little tricks that they closely guard. In general, ive always had best success using COA 11 mics. The manufacturer makes a rubber flat mic mount that completely encases the mic except for about 3mm at the top. This is the best to hide i find.

Rycote.com make a range of Undercovers, over covers and stickies that are pretty good, but you will find that there are 2 types of noise when a performer moves.
1) Actual rubbing on the mic. This can be lessened or eliminated by the products above.
2) Clothing scrape. This is audio inside the clothing and is as much audio as the dialogue is. All you can do is stick down moving garments, or relocate the mic, or wear different fabrics.
Also you should go to great trouble to deal with the cable correctly with a double loop (held loosely) about 2 inches below the capsule. Stick this down firmly, so any cable pulling doesnt move the mic capsule.

Then of course theres ADR.

Peter

Peter

Return to posts index

anthony Faulkner
on May 21, 2010 at 12:45:51 am

Peter,

Do you have a link for that COA 11 mic. the only results google will give me are this page!

I feel like a snake eating my own tail!

ha ha!

thanks

Return to posts index

Michael Martin
on May 20, 2010 at 4:41:22 pm

The ME2 omni lav mic that comes with the G3 systems are actually pretty decent and mix well with a boom. The advantage that these mics have is the low handling noise with the mic cable it's self, many of the "high end" mics tend to not isolate the cable tugging, rubbing, and movement from the capsule and you end up having to use more tape on the actors as they give you a nasty look. I recommend getting your techniques down on the ME2 lav first since you already have them. Some things that work is wrapping the mic capsule with a small bit of mole skin and use a small bit of tape to create a tiny bit of slack a few inches below the capsule. Also, don't be shy about asking an actress to stuff the capsule into the top of her cleavage.

Good luck.

-Michael Martin
Martin Media Designs
Location Sound/Audio Post Production/Sound Design

Return to posts index

anthony Faulkner
on May 21, 2010 at 12:37:40 am

Thank you for both of your replies,

I will investigate my options. at the moment Im sucking it up and having the thing, foam ball and all out in front of camera. I need to do some more extensive testing... I guess and i might look into getting one of those hidden mics...

Thanks again

Anthony

Return to posts index

Kerry Brown
on May 21, 2010 at 3:07:14 am

Check these tutorials. You might not need the foam cover.
http://www.locationsound.com/proaudio/ls/tips/techtips8_4.html?id=jBYT2FNX

KB

Return to posts index

Peter Groom
on May 21, 2010 at 7:39:10 am

Typo. Its a Sanken COS11.
http://www.sanken-mic.com/en/product/product.cfm/5.1105900

Peter

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved