FORUMS: list search recent posts

Setting up a Yamaha 01V 96 Version 2 mixer

COW Forums : Audio Professionals

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Geoff Dudley
Setting up a Yamaha 01V 96 Version 2 mixer
on May 9, 2010 at 7:46:00 am

This is my first post to CC.

I need some guidance in setting up a Yamaha 01V96 Ver 2 audio mixer. I've read and re read the manual but it doesn't explain the order of setting things up such as reference levels, output levels, the gate and the compressor/limiter.

My situation is that I have the mixer out in stereo connected to a FCP machine. I have 4 mics connected to inputs 1-4. I'll run thru the setup method I think I should use and if I'm doing something wrong could you please correct me?

1a. Set all EQ's/comp.Lim/Gates to OFF
1b. Play the mixer's onboard 1KHz sinewave reference tone at -12dB. Adjust output faders to match and check Final Cut Pro level meters read the same.
2. Feed line level 1KHz -12dB sinewave into line in on the mixer. Adjust line level attenuator for each channel to read -12dB.
3. Check what's being fed in is the same level as that being output.
4a. Plug mic in
4b. Adjust mic EQ.
5. Adjust comp/lim
6. Adjust Gate

Is this the correct order? Have I missed anything? Is there a good audio reference book I can read to really brush up on?

Thank you,
--geoff

Return to posts index

Ty Ford
Re: Setting up a Yamaha 01V 96 Version 2 mixer
on May 9, 2010 at 2:44:19 pm

Hello Geoff and welcome to the Cow Audio Forum.

"A FCP machine?" Hmm, so you're trying to record audio into Final Cut Pro in realtime?
That in itself is unusual. I think most people shoot onto tape or HD and transfer the files.
What hardware are you using?

You're mixing four mics down to two channels before you get into FCP? That will mean you can't adjust them separately as much as if you bring all four in individually. If I were working with four tracks, I'd want them isoed as four tracks unless I was mixing a "live to tape" stereo (or dual mono) master.

"2. Feed line level 1KHz -12dB sinewave into line in on the mixer. Adjust line level attenuator for each channel to read -12dB. " I don't get why you'd want to do that. Maybe you could clarify.

Here's they typical thing: Tone is sent from mixer to camera to calibrate the camera record level settings so the audio person doesn't have to look at the camera meters. It's normally sent at -20 with mixers that have +20 headroom. I don't know what the Yammy has, so you may have to improvise. Maybe +12 on the Yammy master out is cool. You'd have to scope that out with the manual. If it isn't, and the master only goes to 0 then send tone at whatever level you want. Remember, you're just trying to align the levels of the two devices.

You don't give any info on what you're recording so I can't make any suggestions other than to say most people don't use effects during recording voices. You might need some EQ, but again, you haven't given us anything to indicate your situation so any further suggestion is futile.

Regards,

Ty Ford

Want better production audio?: Ty Ford's Audio Bootcamp Field Guide

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]