Desktop speakers?
on May 7, 2010 at 3:34:02 pm

Hey audio folks! What's the hottest desktop speaker out there? Thanks,
Than

Return to posts index

Dan Quintero
Re: Desktop speakers?
on May 7, 2010 at 5:20:13 pm

The hottest desktop speakers - for what? iTunes or mastering a 7.1 mix?

Go fly fishing.

Return to posts index

Than Baardson
on May 7, 2010 at 6:18:15 pm

Just for basic stereo work. I don't forsee us doing any surround sound work, but if the speakers are lots better, we'd probably buy them.

Return to posts index

Jean-Christophe Boulay
on May 7, 2010 at 7:52:47 pm

I'm a Dynaudio man, myself. It's always hard to describe why you like certain speakers over others. Mainly, I think it's down to how they translate, meaning that a mix that sounds good on these will sound good on most systems. That, like most speaker comparison points, is pretty subjective.

I'd recommend taking a look at Dynaudio's BM range. The AIR series is a big letdown, IMO. The other big players that would be recommended often are probably Genelec, Alesis, ADAM, JBL, Blue Sky, Mackie and Yamaha.

Quickly, Genelec makes superb monitors, but their desktop series (the 8xxx and 6xxx models) is pretty weak-sounding for the price.

Alesis, I don't like. I don't know why, really. Their products just never elicit more than a "meh" reaction from me. I think it's because they make USB speakers. Lame.

ADAM make magnificent monitors, but they don't really know "cheap". If you can afford them, these have great high-frequency detail and transient response. They almost sound too good for monitors. They also look incredibly nerdy. You decide whether that's good or not.

JBL make too many speakers. With a range going from cheap, small home-theater to gigantic PAs worthy of a Rolling Stones tour, the studio monitors get lost somewhere in there and are not that popular. They're very good, but I couldn't list you a model name to save my life.

Blue Sky make neat little desktop speakers in practical complete systems. There are 2.1 and 5.1 systems, with central control knob so you have your volume handy. I've only worked a bit on these, but they sounded pretty good at the time.

Mackie make great nearfield monitors. The HR824 are kind of standard in many music-production circles and the smaller HR624's keep most of the same character. Mackie also has a budget company, called Tapco, that also makes surprisingly good models for a price point.

Yamaha are popular in the monitor business mainly because they made one really crappy speaker, the NS10, that sparked a revolution. They keep making crappy speakers, only these ones don't spark a thing. To be fair, their higher-price models sound good, but fail compared to the competition at the same price point.

I hope this helps you in your search. You didn't mention what size or budget range you're looking in so I went pretty generally. If you need more precise info, just ask and I'll see if I can dig it up.

JC Boulay
Technical Director
Audio Z
Montreal, Canada
http://www.audioz.com

Return to posts index

Than Baardson
on May 7, 2010 at 8:08:47 pm

That's perfect! Thanks a lot JC, I'll take a look at all of these and let you know what we order.

Return to posts index

Dan Quintero
on May 7, 2010 at 8:30:44 pm

Those are great speakers, but I still don't really understand the question.

You can have the best speakers, but if you're listening to them in a tile box, it wont matter.

Maybe a better question would be, how do I most accurately monitor my sound?

You could be wasting your money/the guards money by paying for a Porsche when all you need to do is pick up the groceries.

Go fly fishing.

Return to posts index

Than Baardson
on May 7, 2010 at 8:50:36 pm

Haha, yes a very valid point Dan. After talking with finance, we're looking at picking a few of these from B&H:
http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/533718-REG/Audioengine_A2B_A2_Desktop...

Return to posts index

Jean-Christophe Boulay
on May 7, 2010 at 8:55:00 pm

I've never used AudioEngine products. I've never heard from anyone I know who'd used them either.

I may have been proposing some big models, then.

JC Boulay
Technical Director
Audio Z
Montreal, Canada
http://www.audioz.com

Return to posts index

Than Baardson
on May 7, 2010 at 9:02:18 pm

Haha never ever?? Yeah I printed out a few of the models you suggested and was met with a "...let's just find something that makes noise.." :)

Return to posts index

Brian Reynolds
on May 8, 2010 at 1:58:24 am

Here's some more...
http://www.krksys.com/product_rokit.php
I have used a set of 6" Rokits and they sound great.
I usually carry some CDs that I know very well to use as a standard, play them for a while in whatever facility to "get used to the speakers" prior to a production, as even the same make/ model mounted or positioned differently may sound VASTLY different from what you are used to.

The difference between Knowledge and Wisdom is... Knowledge is the knowing of facts.... Wisdom is the sensible application of good quality knowledge...

Return to posts index

Ty Ford
on May 8, 2010 at 3:43:57 am

Hello Than,

"Hottest Desk Top Speakers....for basic stereo work."

Still not getting it. WHAT KIND OF WORK!?

spots, TV shows, docs? Music? Voice Only, Ring Tones?

Professional quality or something to make noise?

Do you want to be proud of your mixes or not give a rat's patoot?

Do you want your mixes to translate to other speaker systems?

Oh and tell the finance people that they won't have a job if you buy junk and try to do work on it.

Regards,

Ty Ford

Want better production audio?: Ty Ford's Audio Bootcamp Field Guide

Return to posts index

Than Baardson
on May 12, 2010 at 3:48:40 pm

Hey Ty,
Sorry for keeping you in the dark. We do everything from TV ad spots and promos to documentaries and live event coverage. Finance will pay for odd things and not others... that's govn't though. We're with the Air National Guard :) So while I need to learn all I can about the varying speakers available, they have the ultimate say. Thanks again for all your help everyone!

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]