FORUMS: list search recent posts

Syncing audio with dual system

COW Forums : Audio Professionals

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
David Neidert
Syncing audio with dual system
on May 5, 2010 at 3:59:48 pm

Somebody told me recently that when you are recording with a dual system that your audio recorder must be set to the same frame rate as your camera in order for the audio to sync. I disagreed saying that frame rate doesn't effect audio.

My particular recorder doesn't have a frame rate setting and I have synced audio with 24fps and 30fps footage with seemingly no problem. Can someone fill me in?

David

Return to posts index

David Jones
Re: Syncing audio with dual system
on May 5, 2010 at 7:52:25 pm

Hi David,

The frame rate has to do with timecode. If you're syncing the camera via timecode, then the frame rates need to match (though, this isn't always the case). If you're not using timecode, the frame rate doesn't matter as long as both [camera and recorder] are running in sync. If there's no frame rate setting on your recorder, then it doesn't have a timecode generator/reader built in.

Hope this helps!

Best,

Dave J

Return to posts index

John Fishback
on May 6, 2010 at 9:30:26 pm

Record 48 (not 44.1) kHz sample rate 16 or 24 bit PCM.

John

MacPro 8-core 2.8GHz 8 GB RAM OS 10.5.8 QT7.6.4 Kona 3 Dual Cinema 23 ATI Radeon HD 3870, 24" TV-Logic Monitor, ATTO ExpressSAS R380 RAID Adapter, PDE enclosure with 8-drive 6TB RAID 5
FCS 3 (FCP 7.0.2, Motion 4.0.2, Comp 3.5.2, DVDSP 4.2.2, Color 1.5.2)

Pro Tools HD w SYNC IO & 192 Digital I/O, Yamaha DM1000, Millennia Media HV-3C, Neumann U87, Schoeps Mk41 mics, Genelec Monitors, PrimaLT ISDN

Return to posts index

Bouke Vahl
on May 9, 2010 at 10:33:13 am

As stated already, if you slave the cam's TC, the framerate has to match.
But if you put your LTC output on one of the cams sound channels, it does not matter, IF:
the decoding device is smart enough to know that the LTC framerate on the soundchannel differs from the clips TC framerate.

In all dual system sound setups, test with the post guys!
(Not all understand the workflow)

hth,

Bouke

http://www.videotoolshed.com/
smart tools for video pros

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]