FORUMS: list search recent posts

Samson GO Mic - Not getting same results as others

COW Forums : Audio Professionals

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Michael Leung
Samson GO Mic - Not getting same results as others
on Apr 27, 2010 at 10:51:18 pm

Hi all,

I bought a Samson GO Mic to try and get better audio quality in my videos, but to be honest I haven't been impressed with it as much as I'd hoped. It still has the main problem that I had from my webcam (that I upgraded from originally).

Alright, so I have Windows 7, and when the GO Mic is plugged in I set it to omni mode with a recording volume through the volume control panel at around 40. I use the capture device function in Sony Vegas 8 to record a video from my webcam, while I use the mic as an audio source. I prop the mic on top of a cardboard box to try and get it to mouth level as much as possible, and I sit probably about 50cm (~20 inches) away from the mic.

However, whenever I say certain words with certain letters like M, N, H, G or B, I get distortion. Forgive me if I use completely the wrong terms here, I know nothing about audio, but basically those types of words will distort the sound and make it very bassy, and have a lot of reverb(?) from my speakers. So it will sound like the volume is turned way up for that word, then back down again.

I bought a little slip on wind cover for dirt cheap in an attempt to try and fix it, but it didn't really have any effect at the distance I'm recording at.

So does anyone know how I can improve my audio? Is it my software? Is it my position? Is it my settings? Many other people have videos with the GO Mic and they sound fine, but I have no luck.

Return to posts index

Jordan Wolf
Re: Samson GO Mic - Not getting same results as others
on Apr 29, 2010 at 4:28:58 pm

"...[W]henever I say certain words with certain letters like M, N, H, G or B, I get distortion...basically those types of words will distort the sound and make it very bassy, and have a lot of reverb(?) from my speakers. So it will sound like the volume is turned way up for that word, then back down again."

Okay, so let's dissect this:

1. Gain staging - okay, it's a technical term, but that's what it's called when you match up the various "volumes" in your signal chain. I think you need to go through the manual and see how to properly set up the mic in the computer.

2. Stop using your speakers to monitor the signal - use headphones instead. That will keep what I suspect is a feedback loop from causing the bass build-up. FYI: omnidirectional mics are known for their LACK of bass boost when you are close the them, so this is unusual.

That should help immensely. Also, try getting closer to the mic. The reason most people stay away from the mic is because of the bass boost mentioned earlier (called proximity effect). Every time you half the distance between the source and the mic, you gain a FREE 6dB of level. Use that to your advantage.

Wolf
<><

Return to posts index

Jean Lhuillery
Re: Samson GO Mic - Unable to do re-recording
on Dec 27, 2010 at 9:29:11 pm

I also have problems with my go mic (also using windows 7) : when I try to record a second track to accompany the first one I cannot hear the first track playing, neither with Music creator which I obtained with the mike nor with Audacity. Is it because it is a USB mike and because the earphines are plugged into the mike itself ?

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]