FORUMS: list search recent posts

Kipro as audio recorder

COW Forums : Audio Professionals

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Craig Alan
Kipro as audio recorder
on Apr 25, 2010 at 11:30:41 pm

Sort of a double post sorry. But this was part of a larger set of questions I had about adding the Aja Kipro to our kit.

Thought the audio part might be better answered here:

So we can plug the mikes directly into the kipro.
24-bit, I gather. xlr inputs. headphone monitoring. gain control.
Is the audio quality really good or is it worth adding a sound devices mixer to the chain for its quality preamp?

http://www.aja.com/products/ki-pro/ki-pro-connectors.php

OSX 10.5.7; MAC Book PRO (EARLY 2008); Camcorders: Sony Z7U, Canon HV30, Sony vx2000/PD170, Canon xl2; Pana, Sony, and Canon consumer cams; FCP certified; write professionally for a variety of media; teach video production in L.A.

Return to posts index

John Fishback
Re: Kipro as audio recorder
on Apr 26, 2010 at 2:35:42 pm

While I've not used a AJA KiPro, I can't imagine it'd be different from any of their other gear which is excellent.

John

MacPro 8-core 2.8GHz 8 GB RAM OS 10.5.8 QT7.6.4 Kona 3 Dual Cinema 23 ATI Radeon HD 3870, 24" TV-Logic Monitor, ATTO ExpressSAS R380 RAID Adapter, PDE enclosure with 8-drive 6TB RAID 5
FCS 3 (FCP 7.0.2, Motion 4.0.2, Comp 3.5.2, DVDSP 4.2.2, Color 1.5.2)

Pro Tools HD w SYNC IO & 192 Digital I/O, Yamaha DM1000, Millennia Media HV-3C, Neumann U87, Schoeps Mk41 mics, Genelec Monitors, PrimaLT ISDN

Return to posts index

Ty Ford
on Apr 26, 2010 at 4:06:19 pm

Craig,

The reason they call the 442, 302 a mixer is that you actively mix with it. That means actively mixing the audio, even if there's only one person speaking. It's not at all unusual to have a person speaking who either gets louder or softer as they speak. You can correct for that if you're paying attention during shooting if the ambient noise is not too loud. That saves time in post.

I see no way to easily do that with the Aja device. It looks like an interface, not a mixer.

Regards,

Ty Ford

Want better production audio?: Ty Ford's Audio Bootcamp Field Guide

Return to posts index

John Fishback
on Apr 26, 2010 at 7:41:41 pm

Ty is absolutely right about the benefits of using a real mixer. I'd always feed a recorder from a mixer. That said, I believe you can select the input of the KiPro to mic. I'm not sure if it supplies phantom power (which a mixer would). And, as Ty points out, it wouldn't be as easy to rider levels with the KiPro.

John

MacPro 8-core 2.8GHz 8 GB RAM OS 10.5.8 QT7.6.4 Kona 3 Dual Cinema 23 ATI Radeon HD 3870, 24" TV-Logic Monitor, ATTO ExpressSAS R380 RAID Adapter, PDE enclosure with 8-drive 6TB RAID 5
FCS 3 (FCP 7.0.2, Motion 4.0.2, Comp 3.5.2, DVDSP 4.2.2, Color 1.5.2)

Pro Tools HD w SYNC IO & 192 Digital I/O, Yamaha DM1000, Millennia Media HV-3C, Neumann U87, Schoeps Mk41 mics, Genelec Monitors, PrimaLT ISDN

Return to posts index

Craig Alan
Thanks all
on Apr 26, 2010 at 11:07:31 pm

Thanks all.

It does provide phantom. And it does have a gain control knob for each channel with meters. It will be mounted under the camera. But no doubt a person doing nothing but riding the audio levels would be a better bet. Hopefully we will have both anyway. The exciting part is it will skip the compression of HDV and the compromise it makes on the audio end.

Just wanted to add that the folk here are incredibly helpful. I really appreciate it.

Craig

OSX 10.5.7; MAC Book PRO (EARLY 2008); Camcorders: Sony Z7U, Canon HV30, Sony vx2000/PD170, Canon xl2; Pana, Sony, and Canon consumer cams; FCP certified; write professionally for a variety of media; teach video production in L.A.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]