FORUMS: list search recent posts

If I can't use studio monitors, just headphones...

COW Forums : Audio Professionals

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Adam Browning
If I can't use studio monitors, just headphones...
on Apr 25, 2010 at 11:21:32 am

I do a lot of final audio mixing on the road, and can't really lug around a good set of studio monitors for the mix. So, I pretty much need to rely on a good pair of headphones.

Since this is the case, should I use the Audio Technica ATH-M50 or Sony MDR-7506? Or, is there a different model I need to be using in my case?

Return to posts index

Ty Ford
Re: If I can't use studio monitors, just headphones...
on Apr 25, 2010 at 1:27:54 pm

Hello Adam and welcome to the Cow Audio Forum.

Both are top choice headphones for me, however, mixing under phones usually doesn't translate well on monitors and if your project will be heard over monitors, you need that reference.

With monitors, each ear hears both monitors, so there's a mix of both. Headphones don't allow that.

Ultimately, it's good to check your mix by playing back over whatever sort of system the project is expected to be played on. I know a group that does a lot of museum installations. They do a mix and then play it back at the museum on the intended system and tweak the mix.

Regards,

Ty Ford

Want better production audio?: Ty Ford's Audio Bootcamp Field Guide

Return to posts index

Adam Browning
on Apr 25, 2010 at 3:54:30 pm

Ty-

Thanks for the advice. Any chance you could recommend a good set of traveling studio monitors?

Thanks.

Return to posts index

Ty Ford
on Apr 25, 2010 at 4:02:32 pm

Adam,

What are your space restriction? Are you flying, driving? Humping gear in and out of places?

Regards,

Ty Ford

Return to posts index

Adam Browning
on Apr 25, 2010 at 4:05:42 pm

Most of the time its flying. A set of small powered cubes could fit nicely in my gear.

Return to posts index

Ty Ford
on Apr 25, 2010 at 4:38:19 pm

Right, well the problem there is cubes don't have any low end.

Even the pricey K&H 0110 (11 x 7 x 8) don't have enough low end to make good judgements.

I have these Bose 5 for use with my laptop, but the control/bass enclosure makes the system pretty heavy. http://tinyurl.com/ybkba3d

Even the 3 comes with a box. Maybe the Bose 2 and making sure you check the MDR7506 for the low end. Still not a great solution and I haven't heard them.

Regards,

Ty Ford

Return to posts index

Adam Browning
on Apr 26, 2010 at 5:32:32 am

Thanks for the tip. I'll check out the Bose 5 as an option.

Return to posts index

Jean-Christophe Boulay
on Apr 26, 2010 at 7:26:12 pm

Here's a link to a rather classic Sound on Sound article on headphones mixing.
http://www.soundonsound.com/sos/jan07/articles/mixingheadphones.htm

Most of the important points are well covered and you should pay special attention to the "Simulating The Loudspeaker Experience With Crossfeed Plug-ins" box around 2/3 down. If you really can't have monitors around, crossfeed systems can help quite a bit. Mixes should always at least be listened to on speakers before stamping them as final, though.

IHTH

JC Boulay
Technical Director
Audio Z
Montreal, Canada
http://www.audioz.com

Return to posts index

Andy Schmidt
on May 4, 2010 at 10:38:48 pm

Nice response to an interesting question. As we promote bands through internet methods, we employ headphone monitoring in the Studio or on location as needed. We work with what we have on site. However, during the mixing and mastering process, we listen as we feel our intended audience will most likely approach our music: Through a 2.1 mix. We as well listen through more quality speakers during the process, but we need to know how we are presenting the artists we represent to our respective audiences.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]