FORUMS: list search recent posts

Recording very Loud audio

COW Forums : Audio Professionals

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Craig Shepard
Recording very Loud audio
on Apr 22, 2010 at 7:26:42 pm

I am trying to record very loud rock music and can not plug into the board. I am trying to find the best Microphone to do that. with out getting over driven or clipping. Can someone please help. I am recording at clubs that do not give me access to the mixer

Thanks

Return to posts index

Brian Reynolds
Re: Recording very Loud audio
on Apr 22, 2010 at 11:39:19 pm

What ever mic you use will need to be a Dynamic rather than condenser. Dynamic mics can tollerate VERY loud sound sources.
Mics like the Shure SM58 or Electro Voice RE50 spring to mind.

The difference between Knowledge and Wisdom is... Knowledge is the knowing of facts.... Wisdom is the sensible application of good quality knowledge...

Return to posts index

Bill Davis
on Apr 23, 2010 at 1:19:06 am

Nearly any mic sold has a MAX SPL figure listed in it's specs.

That's the sound pressure level it's rated at.

Small diaphragm mics tend to rate higher than large diaphragm mics, but there are units like the Sennheiser MD-421U that can handle up to (iirc) 135db without breaking a sweat. That's a level where your hearing is in instant danger. So the band should be well below that.

Next, you want to carry some form of PAD to attenuate the signal between the mic and the input if necessary. In-line switchable attenuators from TecNec or Audio Technica with 10-20-30db pads are ideal for this.

But also don't expect to get a FABULOUS "studio sounding" quality recording via Mics in a live situation. Live audio is pretty messy - being created and mixed for the crowd, rather than to be recorded and played back later for critical listening.

Good luck.

Return to posts index

Ty Ford
on Apr 23, 2010 at 12:23:25 pm

Hello Craig,

You don't say what you are trying to record on, or with.

More info please.

Regards,

Ty Ford

Want better production audio?: Ty Ford's Audio Bootcamp Field Guide

Return to posts index

Peter Groom
on Apr 23, 2010 at 2:00:52 pm

I know this isnt helpful, but the sound you will get will be truly awful no matter what mic you use. if the venue wont give you a feed off thier mixer, personally Id walk away from it - theyre a bunch of amateurs.
Find something more worthwhile to do with your time rather than persue something that is destined to fail.
Try getting your client to discuss the severe limitations that are being imposed on your product by the lack of access. If no go, id sack the in house team off the job and put in a complete rig of my own.
Peter

Return to posts index

Ty Ford
on Apr 23, 2010 at 4:14:35 pm

Craig,

I agree totally with Peter. If you're planning to cruise in with a camcorder, your sound will suck even if the music is at a low volume. This is one of those magical things about audio and everyone has to learn it. Please do us a favor, though, and DON'T listen to us. Go do it and come back and tell us how you did.

Regards,

Ty Ford

Want better production audio?: Ty Ford's Audio Bootcamp Field Guide

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]