FORUMS: list search recent posts

Juicedlink vs Beachtek

COW Forums : Audio Professionals

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Craig Alan
Juicedlink vs Beachtek
on Apr 20, 2010 at 10:47:39 pm

The Sound Devices 302 is way better than xlr adapters, obviously, but we have a need for the adapters as well. Are the Juiced link mixers better than the Beachteks? Used with small miniDV cams.

OSX 10.5.7; MAC Book PRO (EARLY 2008); Camcorders: Sony Z7U, Canon HV30, Sony vx2000/PD170, Canon xl2; Pana, Sony, and Canon consumer cams; FCP certified; write professionally for a variety of media; teach video production in L.A.

Return to posts index

Ty Ford
Re: Juicedlink vs Beachtek
on Apr 21, 2010 at 3:05:11 pm

Craig,

I don't like (or use) either and don't recommend them.

What need does your 302 not serve?

Regards,

Ty Ford

Want better production audio?: Ty Ford's Audio Bootcamp Field Guide

Return to posts index

Craig Alan
on Apr 22, 2010 at 3:53:08 am

Hi TY,

No need. Just don't have enough for all the teams. Plus the students need to earn some trust before we start loaning out gear worth that much. There are times I want to loan out a quick run and gun 1 person shoot. Plus on small cams with mini ports, I like a secure way of connecting the mikes. If I'm using a cordless transmitter like the sennheiser G2, I skip the xlr adapter. But with the sound devices, the cable is long enough to stress the small port. When we shoot with higher end cams, pd170, canon xl2, Z7u, never have used an xlr adapter. The juiced link has great reviews on BHphoto but I trust your eval. What do you hate about it?

OSX 10.5.7; MAC Book PRO (EARLY 2008); Camcorders: Sony Z7U, Canon HV30, Sony vx2000/PD170, Canon xl2; Pana, Sony, and Canon consumer cams; FCP certified; write professionally for a variety of media; teach video production in L.A.

Return to posts index

Ty Ford
on Apr 22, 2010 at 3:57:54 am

Craig,

Most of them (There are more than one model) are passive. You can turn 'em down but not up. Sometimes you need up. The switches are confusing to most people and they just don't have the build quality and circuits of the Sound Devices gear.

Regards,

Ty

Return to posts index

Craig Alan
on Apr 22, 2010 at 4:53:33 am

Ty,
Perfect analysis of the beach tek. I wish I could lock the device on 10. That’s why I thought the Juicedlink might do the trick:

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/search?Ntt=juicedlink&N=0&InitialSearch=yes

These seem to say they give you a real preamp and can increase the gain.

Anyway to mount a 302 under camera for a one man team?

Craig

Return to posts index

Ty Ford
on Apr 22, 2010 at 11:52:03 am

Craig,

I'm sure I have seen a mount. Perhaps it was for the MixPre. YOUR assignment is designing or finding a solution and selling it online and retiring on the proceeds. :)

Regards,

Ty Ford

Return to posts index

Craig Alan
on Apr 22, 2010 at 1:04:49 pm

Sounds good to me.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]