FORUMS: list search recent posts

hand held mike recommendation

COW Forums : Audio Professionals

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Craig Alan
hand held mike recommendation
on Apr 20, 2010 at 10:36:49 pm

We currently have Sennheiser md 46s and e815s. We use them on low end DV cameras, as well as prosumer level HDV cams. We use them with xlr cords and with Sennheiser skp 100 plugs as part of the G2 kits. We use them with xlr adapters on the low end cams. We get decent quality if the talent uses the mikes correctly. Dialog is often recorded with the need to isolate it from back ground noise. The 815 seem very directional. This has worked well. Are there any hand held mikes you would recommend over these? Something that would produce a warmer sweeter tone and be more forgiving with amateur talent. Some of boys sound muddy. But the conditions are far from ideal so it might not be the mike. I need more mikes and have some funding.

The mikes need to be rugged as many students use them and they take a beating. Both of these have held up well.

We also have a couple of sound devices 302s which we use for more important events. For these events we can afford a couple of higher end mikes.
Thanks

OSX 10.5.7; MAC Book PRO (EARLY 2008); Camcorders: Sony Z7U, Canon HV30, Sony vx2000/PD170, Canon xl2; Pana, Sony, and Canon consumer cams; FCP certified; write professionally for a variety of media; teach video production in L.A.

Return to posts index

Alan Lloyd
Re: hand held mike recommendation
on Apr 21, 2010 at 1:37:43 pm

I have a Beyerdynamic M58, which is a nice stick mic with a long handle and very low handling noise. At the broadcast end of the scale, you will find these in reporters' hands, along with the EV RE50.

I prefer the M58 - it has a slimmer visual profile. They both sound good.

And I keep a Sennheiser e815 as a backup. It's a decent little mic, though not really in the same league.

Return to posts index

Ty Ford
on Apr 21, 2010 at 3:03:21 pm

Hello Craig and welcome to the Cow Audio Forum,

Alan has good choices for you.

The EV 635a is an industry standard that uses the same capsule as the EV RE50. The RE50 has a better headgrille and more isolation from handling noise.

Both mics you have are cardioids, so as you get them closer to your mouth the bass increases. That can be good or bad, depending on the voice. Too boomy? Pull back. Need warmth? Move in.

The RE50 and 635a are omnidirectional mics. You can pretty much eat them and not get proximity effect. You might try one in your high noise situation and have the user make sure they keep it right at their mouths.

These two are also more forgiving during interviews when the mic is moved from one person to another.

Regards,

Ty Ford

Want better production audio?: Ty Ford's Audio Bootcamp Field Guide

Return to posts index

Craig Alan
THANKS to all, I'll check out the recommendations
on Apr 22, 2010 at 3:38:58 am

Ty,

I tell the kids all the time to learn how their voices get recorded and adjust accordingly. We watch listen and give feedback after every shoot. And I follow what you are saying about the mike characteristics. So I guess it’s a trade off. No proximity effect and fewer drops off as talent swings the mike toward and from different speakers, but then you’re in danger of picking up the distractions around you. But it might be an advantage if everyone could learn to get it close to the mouth and not worry as much about individual tonal differences. I plan to switch to a camera that will allow them to monitor the sound directly from the cam. Unfortunately, it is a HDV cam. (Canon HV30/40) I remember reading that you said that HDV has 5x the compression as CD quality where as SD DV has slightly better than CD quality? Is this correct?

OSX 10.5.7; MAC Book PRO (EARLY 2008); Camcorders: Sony Z7U, Canon HV30, Sony vx2000/PD170, Canon xl2; Pana, Sony, and Canon consumer cams; FCP certified; write professionally for a variety of media; teach video production in L.A.

Return to posts index

Ty Ford
Re: THANKS to all, I'll check out the recommendations
on Apr 22, 2010 at 3:53:24 am

Craig,

Teaching good mic skills takes some time, but it's clearly (pun intended) worth it. Maybe do a line up in pairs or threes and have one person handle the mic among all three. Let the class watch (and listen on headphones) and they'll learn pretty quickly what happens when the cardioid gets to close and woofy or doesn't get to the right mouth in time.

That way everyone learns and when it's the next trios job to do the exercise, they already know what to do, they just have to remember to do it right.

You can wire up your own passive headphone box or get one of these. http://www.fullcompass.com/product/300146.html

or these
http://www.samash.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/product_JIBS%20Jacks%20In%2...

I have a Rane in my studio for music sessions: http://www.sweetwater.com/store/detail/HC6/

As for HDV audio, yes it's 384 kbps stereo; about 1/5 the data rate of CD audio.

Regards,

Ty Ford

Want better production audio?: Ty Ford's Audio Bootcamp Field Guide

Return to posts index

Craig Alan
on Apr 26, 2010 at 3:26:00 am

Electro Voice RE50N/D-B - Omni-Directional Handheld Dynamic N/DYM Shock Mounted ENG Microphone (Black)

Electro Voice RE50/B - Omni-Directional Handheld Dynamic Shock Mounted ENG Microphone (Black)

Beyerdynamic M58

Ty,

I do like the profile of the Beyerdynamic M58.

One reviewer thought the RE50 were more rugged which does matter with kids.

Not sure the difference between the two re50s above, though I read the description, and they are within a buck of each other.

What do you think?

Also what cardioids would you recommend? It's not just b.g. Noise, it's inappropriate background noise that the current mikes for the most part don’t pick up. It’s a tough school and not everyone plays nice.

Craig

Return to posts index

Jordan Wolf
on Apr 22, 2010 at 2:34:21 am

Sennheiser's e8XX mics are about as warm as you'll get. I recommend trying an e845 if you want a bit of a different flavor. If this is for interviews, a long-handled mic will work nicely.

Remember: the closest AND loudest source at the mic wins.

Wolf
<><

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]