FORUMS: list search recent posts

Good mixer

COW Forums : Audio Professionals

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Nick Vaka
Good mixer
on Apr 18, 2010 at 6:48:56 pm

I'm using an AT2020 microphone to record some voice-over for an animation I'm working on. I've got a t.c. electronic konnekt 6 firewire audio interface that I'm recording through into Adobe Sound Booth CS4. I've noticed that the only controls I've got on the interface are for gain, reverb and choosing my source/"scene." The problem is that I can't control the audio level coming into Sound Booth from the interface, the only thing that seems to affect it at all is the gain, and that only makes it louder. Sound Booth won't even record the reverb when I turn it up. I can hear it in my headphones, but it isn't getting to the computer. I don't need the reverb, I just thought it might be helpful to note as I cannot record the effect, only play it back.

Am I doing something wrong? Should I get a mixer to connect to this thing? Or should I just scrap it and get an interface card from M-Audio and a decent mixer with a phantom-powered pre amp?

Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks in advance.

Nick Vaka
Motion Graphics & Animation
http://www.nickvaka.com

Return to posts index

cowcowcowcowcow
Ty Ford
Re: Good mixer
on Apr 19, 2010 at 3:10:15 am

Hello Nick and welcome to the Cow Audio Forum.

I'm not familiar with Soundbooth. Unless someone else here is, I suggest you ask at the Adobe Soundbooth forum.

http://forums.adobe.com/community/soundbooth_general

Regards,

Ty Ford

Want better production audio?: Ty Ford's Audio Bootcamp Field Guide

Return to posts index

cowcowcowcowcow
Jean-Christophe Boulay
on Apr 19, 2010 at 3:10:07 pm

There's nothing wrong with your interface. I'm not 100% familiar with the mic input on it and its gain structure, but it is a very good interface. The reverb is not supposed to be routed to the input, it's for monitoring purposes only, that's the whole point. I wouldn't know Soundbooth if it came up and bit me in the pants, so I can't help you there, either, but you can definitively set the level coming from the interface input. Read the manuals, you have the tools.

And don't trade in that interface for an M-Audio. That would just be silly.

JC Boulay
Technical Director
Audio Z
Montreal, Canada
http://www.audioz.com

Return to posts index

Nick Vaka
on Apr 19, 2010 at 4:14:10 pm

Thanks man,

I don't normally handle the audio end so please forgive the elementary nature of my questions :D. I knew there had to be reason everyone and their mother was giving this thing nothing short of exceptional feedback. Looks like a PEBKAC error :D.

If I want to run more than 1 mic in the future, would you recommend running a mixer with more inputs through this thing?

Thanks again,

Nick Vaka

Return to posts index

Bob Kessler
on Apr 19, 2010 at 4:31:59 pm

Now that you have recorded your VO it is time to start experimenting with audio plug-ins and signal routing. In all DAWs (Digital Audio Workstations) you will have the ability to "plug" a virtual signal processor into the audio path. An EQ (Equalizer) inserted on the channel will allow you to shape the sound by increasing and decreasing the frequencies of the audio. A dynamics processor, such as a limiter or compressor, will control the dynamic range (loud and soft volume) of the audio. Then there are effects such as reverbs and delays. The sound is usually routed from its audio channel with a Send buss and returned to a separate submix return buss; the effect (reverb) usually is a plug-in on the return sub buss.

Audio folks like myself are, for the most part, real control freaks. Most of us prefer the raw audio data so that by using EQ, dynamics and effects we can shape the sound any way we want. That is why we don't like "printing" effects and apparently the Konnect works on that principle. It is very difficult to remove unwanted sounds from audio. Think of it this way - you make a Jack & Coke for a friend and but find out he would rather just have a Coke; now you have to remove the Jack from the Coke. It can be done, but it's just not worth the time, effort and expense.

As a personal preference - and a large percentage of my peers agree - it is better to record without any effects at all, even if they aren't being printed. I want to hear every detail of the audio, good and bad, as it goes into my system. That way I know right away if it is fixable or must be recorded again.

Return to posts index

Nick Vaka
on Apr 19, 2010 at 4:51:06 pm

I understand that,

I'm not looking to put any effects on the tracks coming in (that will all go down in post). The very last thing I want to do is add effects while recording.

I too am a control freak, which is why I'm trying to ride the audio level going into the interface from the microphone to keep it from clipping. Like adding effects during recording or Jack Daniels into a Coke, Removing clipping from overly loud audio is a pain.

I was just confused by the fact that the only real levels adjustment on the interface for the Konnekt 6 is gain, and I couldn't adjust the level of recorded audio through the virtual interface. I only brought up the reverb because I was making a point about adjusting settings on the interface itself. After receiving answers here and from t.c. electronic, I now understand what this thing is capable of. I have no desire to record reverb.

Not a big audiophile, but I understand that adding effects during recording is a bad idea. It's like shooting a commercial in Black and White and realizing the client wants color :D.

Thanks for you response.

Nick Vaka

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]