FORUMS: list search recent posts

Mic for convention center

COW Forums : Audio Professionals

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Mike Lacher
Mic for convention center
on Apr 13, 2010 at 8:46:35 pm

Hi All,

I'm going to be putting together a setup in a convention center where an actor in a hidden room will be on a tv interacting with passersby. He'll be set up in a room with a camera running a video feed out to the TV. Then we'll have some sort of cheap camcorder on the convention center floor sending audio and video of passersby back to him.

My question is, what sort of microphone will best allow the actor to hear what people are saying to him? It'll be a pretty large space full of background noise. The people talking to him will hopefully be within 8 feet or less of the television. The quality does not need to be incredible, just good enough to make out people talking nearby. Budget is of course a concern, but more important is getting something that works.

Thanks for your assistance. I am admittedly ignorant when it comes to most audio things.

-Mike

Return to posts index

Ty Ford
Re: Mic for convention center
on Apr 13, 2010 at 9:52:09 pm

Hello Mic and welcome to the Cow Audio Forum.

Tough call. Maybe a PZM mic or two affixed to either side of the wall in which the TV is set. Of course, the placement of the TV speaker is also a concern because your on-camera guy will likely be hearing himself through these mics as he responds to passers by.

Regards,

Ty

Want better production audio?: Ty Ford's Audio Bootcamp Field Guide

Return to posts index

Mike Lacher
on Apr 14, 2010 at 9:30:20 pm

Thanks, Ty!

I'm now trying to educate myself about boundary mics. Would there be any advantage if I used a PCC and pointed it out away from the television and speakers? Just wondering if the cardioid pattern would reduce noise and get any less pickup from the speakers.

Also, just so my brain has this straight, a shotgun in this situation would probably yield too much reverberation and noise, hence the boundary mic being more advantageous?

Thanks again,
Mike

Return to posts index

Ty Ford
on Apr 14, 2010 at 11:13:23 pm

A lot depends on where the TV speakers are, how loud they are, how close they will be to the mics, how close the passers by will be to the mic and the ambient noise level. If you get next to a really noisy booth, you'll be in trouble.

Lot of variables. You might do better to mount the mics above people and point them down toward them so they won't pickup across or down the aisle.

Regards,

Ty Ford

Want better production audio?: Ty Ford's Audio Bootcamp Field Guide

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]