FORUMS: list search recent posts

how much is this worth?

COW Forums : Audio Professionals

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Jensen Yancey
how much is this worth?
on Apr 2, 2010 at 6:08:58 pm

Someone at my work is offering me a sennheiser 415 MKH mic and I know the 416 is supposed to be one of the best in the buisness, but I don't really know much about the 415, is it still a solid mic? how much should I be willing to pay for it?

Return to posts index

Bill Davis
Re: how much is this worth?
on Apr 2, 2010 at 7:54:53 pm

It's a VERY solid mic for what it does well.

It has very low self noise. It has a crisp and smooth frequency response. And great off-axis rejection for it's class.

The 416 excels as an overhead boom mic when used by a knowledgeable boom operator - particularly outdoors where ceiling and/or wall reflections are less an issue than in an indoor setting. But that's room size and sonic reflection dependent.

It's generally too long to camera mount. It's a poor interview choice, again unless it's boom mounted because it's handling noise characteristics are pretty mediocre.

In sum, it's a solid, proven performer in the specific area where the designers intended it for use.

As a general purpose videographier, after I owned a solid dynamic interview mic. A few solid lav mics - both wired and wireless. And perhaps a quality PZM plate - something like this would be my next purchase.

And i'd move it solidly in front of the PZM if most of my actual work was recording dialog for movie making.

FWIW.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]