FORUMS: list search recent posts

Media room - two audio sources, one sound system

COW Forums : Audio Professionals

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Greg Happersteen
Media room - two audio sources, one sound system
on Mar 30, 2010 at 9:00:04 pm

I have a media room with two projectors, and an AV switch for each one. I'm in the process of revamping and simplifying things.

The problem is that you would be able to select the same output on both av switches (for each projector), and as a result, both audio feeds would be going to the amplifier, effectively doubling the volume.

Here's a basic diagram (blue is video, red is audio):

http://img718.imageshack.us/img718/7963/mediasystem.jpg

Is there a device that would be able to detect the doubling of the audio, and automatically cut it down?

Or, is there a better way to lay this out to avoid that problem?

Return to posts index

Richard Crowley
Re: Media room - two audio sources, one sound system
on Mar 30, 2010 at 9:44:08 pm

Not clear why there are two projectors? Are they both on the same screen (for brightness augmenation) or separate screens? Or 3D or something?? If both projectors are aimed at the same screen, not clear why you would be using two different switches?

Not clear that you would have the "sound doubling" problem. Are you saying that you are experiencing this problem? Or do you just anticipate having this problem? Sending the same signal through two different wires to the same destination does NOT "double" the signal. If it worked that way you could run your house on free power with a big bundle of extention cords! :-)

Return to posts index

Greg Happersteen
on Mar 30, 2010 at 10:38:56 pm

The two projectors are displaying on separate screens.

I'm anticipating that I will have the audio doubling problem.

If switch A's audio output goes into an input 1 on the amplifier, and switch B's audio output goes into input 2 on the amplifier, it seems to me that I'll be getting both audio signals coming out from the speakers. So if both audio signals are coming from the same source (ie, both from the DVD player), it seems like I'll get a boost due to doubling.

I'm not diminishing the signal *from* the sources...both switches are receiving full strength signals from the distribution amplifiers. So, I'm not sure that the power analogy quite works.

Return to posts index

Richard Crowley
on Mar 31, 2010 at 2:28:46 am

Unless the Extron switches are AMPLIFYING the signal (which I doubt), then you are feeding the same voltage through each switch and into the amplifier. The voltages don't ADD, so there will be no increase in volume. The *current* will double, but the amplifier doesn't run on current (it draws almost none). All modern audio equipment runs on *voltage* and voltage doesn't add by passively connecting two sources together. Simple as that.

Question: Why not use a single switch and a single splitter to feed the two projectors? Seems a LOT simpler (not to mention cheaper).

Return to posts index

Greg Happersteen
on Mar 31, 2010 at 6:02:12 am

ok, thanks, that makes sense.

The extron switches do not have built-in amps.

The idea behind having the two projectors in the first place was having the ability to display two different sources. My concerns in this thread were for the rare case when the same source is selected for both projectors.

Return to posts index

Jordan Wolf
on Apr 3, 2010 at 11:37:38 pm

Why not hook it up so that there is an audio/video split that goes to both projectors, but just use another set of inputs on the projectors themselves (for example, Input 2, if Input 1 is already in use)?

Wolf
<><

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]