FORUMS: list search recent posts

Question about Mic/Recorder Configuration

COW Forums : Audio Professionals

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Richard Kuenneke
Question about Mic/Recorder Configuration
on Mar 28, 2010 at 2:20:56 pm

Is there a technical reason why I should not plug the barrel of a Sony ECM 77b lav directly into the XLR input of my Tascam DR 100?
I'm trying to lighten the load a little and eliminating the extra cable would help. Yes, I am capturing video with a DSLR.

Rich

Return to posts index

Ty Ford
Re: Question about Mic/Recorder Configuration
on Mar 28, 2010 at 10:09:43 pm

Hello Richard and welcome to the Cow Audio Forum.

The TASCAM site says the device does provide Phantom power. It doesn't say whether it's a full 48 VDC. The Sony mic might not even require a full 48 VDC. I'm guessing, though, that you may be alright. If it's working withe extra mic cable you're trying to ditch, you'll be OK.

Gotta say though, a mic without a good limiter is a dangerous thing. Good limiters are usually in good mixers. Check the TASCAM to see if it has one. Not an AGC, but a limiter. There aren't many AGC circuits that deliver professional results. Most of them pump the noise up.

Use the 48 kHz, 24-bit record setting if it has one. The extra bits will give you more dynamic range.

And, of course, if you have a audio person with a mixer, he/she can adjust the gain on the mixer during the take to account for the speaker getting excited or losing energy. If the ambient noise is relatively low, there's a lot that can be done by riding gain properly that makes for a more consistent track that immediately sounds better and requires less work in post.

Regards,

Ty Ford

Want better production audio?: Ty Ford's Audio Bootcamp Field Guide

Return to posts index

Richard Kuenneke
on Mar 28, 2010 at 10:26:26 pm

Hello Ty and thank you for the response.

I appreciate the need for a mixer - and I wish I could incorporate one in the system - but I typically work alone and I'm struggling to manage the camera, microphones, lights, not to mention the story itself - a second person would be a luxury - let alone an audio assistant!

I do monitor with headphones and know enough to keep the audio levels within the necessary range. I also know to avoid AGC. That's why I use the dual system with my Canon 7D - because it has a built-in AGC that cannot be turned off.

Thank you again!

Rich

Return to posts index

Ty Ford
on Mar 28, 2010 at 11:08:17 pm

You bet, Richard.

Just know that as you grow your business, at some point, the growing pains may force you to take on too much and there will be problems. All too often there is "a learning experience" where you find the end of your capabilities stops just before you need it to.

Sometimes, when we work alone, we get blind to the possibility that we really do need to ask for more money and find a good helper. The "Must do it myself" drive can be very strong and sometimes self-destructive. I'm not saying this is where you're at, just to look out for it. (and for other readers who may land here as well.)

Of course, the next "can't be done!" moment is finding the right person to help you. If you haven't found one yet. Start looking now.

Regards,

Ty Ford

Want better production audio?: Ty Ford's Audio Bootcamp Field Guide

Return to posts index

Richard Kuenneke
on Mar 28, 2010 at 11:16:59 pm

Yes sir. Thank for the note and the advice. I appreciate it very much.

Rich

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]