FORUMS: list search recent posts

Wireless boom mic

COW Forums : Audio Professionals

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Todd Udall
Wireless boom mic
on Mar 22, 2010 at 9:52:33 pm

I want to use a wireless boom mic to record conversations/stand-ups. I own a Sony ECM-678 shotgun mic and a Sennheiser ew122-p ENG wireless mic set. Could I buy a Sound Devices 302 mixer and an XLR to 3.5mm jack plug and make it work? Mic to mixer via xlr, mixer to camera via Sennheiser transmitter, Sennheiser receiver to Sony EX-1 to record?
I read another post about needing a shotgun that had it's own power, while mine is externally powered. Will the mixer provide the power necessary? Do I need to be a sound engineer to accomplish this, because I'm far from it..

Thanks,

Todd

Return to posts index

Will Salley
Re: Wireless boom mic
on Mar 22, 2010 at 11:24:55 pm

[Todd Udall] "Will the mixer provide the power necessary? Do I need to be a sound engineer to accomplish this,"

The 302 provides phantom power to the mic and it's a simple switch on the side of the mixer. The question you need to ask yourself is - Why do I need a wireless link?

All wireless systems have a potential for dropouts that do not exist in a hardwired system...and in the case of your wireless, the EW122, it also has a nasty compander circuit that really introduces a lot of noise into the signal. You also have to monitor at the camera when you do a wireless camera link which usually negates any advantages, such as mobility. If you have multiple systems you could monitor wireless as well but that has it's own issues.

My advice is to keep it simple and go wired the whole signal path. You still need to monitor 100% of the time, but your recordings will be much cleaner.

When I am asked to use a wireless mixer to camera link, I usually try and talk the producer out of it. If they insist, I make sure it gets monitored on the camera end.

Mac Pro 2x2.8 Quadcore - 10.6.2 - QT 7.6.3 - 22 GB RAM - nvidia8800GT - SATA internal & external storage - Blackmagic Multibridge Pro - Open GL 1.5.10 - Wacom Intous2 tablet - AJA io
SONY XDCAM EX3 - Letus Elite

Return to posts index

Mark Barroso
on Mar 23, 2010 at 1:25:50 am

In news, wireless to the camera is standard. However, nearly everyone I know uses Lectrosoncis because of the quality of the signal, as Will mentioned. Plus, the cameramen are adept at monitoring the signal. I agree with Will that wired is always the best better quality, but some run and gun situations demand "good enough" quality.

With modern Lectro systems, using XLR connections and line level, only the most discriminating ears can tell the difference. A backup to your configuration would be to use the tape out and record to a digital recorder like the Zoom. This would be a backup to the camera's recording.

Also, pound into the cameraman's head that he has to pay attention with high quality headphones.

FCP 6.0.5 /
OS 10.4.11 /
Mac Pro 2x2.66 Ghz Dual Core/ 2G RAM
External: FW800 G-tech 500 HD and G-Tech Quad 750GB
playback deck: Pan dv2500

Return to posts index

Todd Udall
on Mar 23, 2010 at 5:16:24 pm

Will, Mark,

Thanks for the quick response. I will opt for a hard wire connection to the boom mic and minimize the chance of break up. I was hoping for more cameraman freedom, but it isn't worth the risk. I think I will look into the Sound Devices MixPre 2 channel instead of the 302 and save some money.

I appreciate the insight.

Todd

Return to posts index

Craig Alan
on Apr 3, 2010 at 9:05:13 pm

the 302 has more features and i think is a great value. bhphoto $1300. The mixpre has only mic in/line out levels.

OSX 10.5.7; MAC Book PRO (EARLY 2008); Camcorders: Sony Z7U, Canon HV30, Sony vx2000/PD170, Canon xl2; Pana, Sony, and Canon consumer cams; FCP certified; write professionally for a variety of media; teach video production in L.A.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]