FORUMS: list search recent posts

Diverse audio situations

COW Forums : Audio Professionals

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Jesse Wheeler
Diverse audio situations
on Mar 22, 2010 at 5:20:26 pm

Hello. Last year we began filming for the documentary Delivering Malawi (a trailer and music animation are available at http://www.deliveringmalawi.com). We encountered several diverse sets of conditions where we recorded video and audio, including large groups of people singing in open fields, an acoustic band playing outdoors in the middle of a village, singing in a chapel, singing and an electro-acoustic band in a cathedral, and the sounds of birds.
For audio-only recording, we used an Edirol R-09HR with a variety of microphones, from a Røde NT4 to small in-ear binaural mics and a an AT hypercardioid stereo mic.
We are set to return to finish filming and recording and I would like information / tips / recommendations on how I can capture the best sound in these diverse situations, what techniques I should know and equipment I ought to have.
Further, I would like to record the acoustic band in such a way that we can use the recordings to produce a DVD. We will probably NOT be able to get them into a studio.
Cheers,
Jesse Wheeler

Return to posts index

Richard Crowley
Re: Diverse audio situations
on Mar 22, 2010 at 8:42:10 pm

Perhaps you should reveal your budget and schedule. There are likely solutions to your question all over the map, but we don't know what is likely to fit your limitations?

For example, do you have the budget (and crew) to take along a couple of big cases full of microphones, stands, cables, mixers, multi-track recorder, and have all day to get a set-up that is both visually and acoustically acceptable? Or does everything have to fit into a fanny pack, done "on the run" and cost < $500?

Return to posts index

Jesse Wheeler
Re: Diverse audio situations
on Mar 23, 2010 at 9:20:02 pm

Hi. I appreciated the extremes you imagined ;). In our case, we will have three people on our team, plus anyone a can get to hold a boom at the time. I want to be able to do it all with a minimum of set-up, given that one can't get nature to wait, though when people are singing we have the luxury of more time -- but we are still most often at the mercy of the sun, the wind, etc.
The budget is in the ballpark of $3000. We will be going on April 13th, so there isn't a lot of time to get hard-to-find equipment or to master hard-to-use stuff.
Cheers!
Jesse

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]