FORUMS: list search recent posts

V.O. Recording Equipment Advice needed

COW Forums : Audio Professionals

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Curt Schulz
V.O. Recording Equipment Advice needed
on Mar 18, 2010 at 4:45:29 pm

Completely new to this, but need to set up a small V.O. recording package on a budget. I have decided on the Studio Projects C1 as my mic, but would like to know whether I should buy a Studio Projects Pre-amp VBT1 or the Mbox 2 Mini (only have money for one). If I don't get the Mbox 2 Mini, I would record to a Tascam DR-100 which I already own and then transfer the files to my MacBook Pro (an extra step vs the Mbox directly into my mac). I never intend on recording instruments and wonder if the pre-amp is overkill or if it will add another layer of quality ( I have never recorded with a pre-amp before.) Thank you for your time. Look forward to any advice.

-Curt

Curt Schulz
MBP 2.53 4GB Ram/Mac OS 10.5.8/FCP7

Return to posts index

Jean-Christophe Boulay
Re: V.O. Recording Equipment Advice needed
on Mar 18, 2010 at 6:01:24 pm

Go for the MBox!!! No question in my mind at all. The mic preamp in the MBox 2 Mini is good enough for your use, IMO. It's absolutely not worth screwing up your complete workflow for a Studio Projects pre. The VBT1 is a budget preamp that will not likely add much to your sound, especially with a budget mic plugged in. The MBox should sound pretty much the same and you'll get ProTools.

Really, no competition.

IHTH

JC Boulay
Technical Director
Audio Z
Montreal, Canada
http://www.audioz.com

Return to posts index

Curt Schulz
on Mar 18, 2010 at 6:09:44 pm

Thanks for the advice. I've had friends that use ProTools and it seems daunting---but this was many years ago and maybe the LE version is easier to learn? I am a video editor and my plan was use the Mbox directly with the Final Cut Pro Voice Over option... Would I get better results using the Mbox and ProTools? How steep is the learning curve?
Thanks again JC!

Curt Schulz
MBP 2.53 4GB Ram/Mac OS 10.5.8/FCP7

Return to posts index

Zack Yoshyaro
on Mar 18, 2010 at 6:43:30 pm

+1 for the mbox!

Another big thing to take into consideration while recording voice overs is the room. You could have the fanciest chain ever, but a bad sounding, reflection-y room will really degrade the professionalism of your recording.

Proper treatment is ridiculously expensive, but arranging a few moving blankets can do the trick.

Return to posts index

Curt Schulz
on Mar 18, 2010 at 11:36:34 pm

I have actually made a make-shift tent of moving blankets around a computer workstation once and recorded V.O. with great success. So much for professionalism but the sound was great:)

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]