FORUMS: list search recent posts

Mic mount

COW Forums : Audio Professionals

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Pat McGowan
Mic mount
on Mar 16, 2010 at 11:37:39 pm

Looking to replace our studio condenser mic mounting arm. We use a Rode NT2 mic and the arm needs to be articulated and adjustable with a desk mount. Any Ideas?

Return to posts index

Bill Davis
Re: Mic mount
on Mar 17, 2010 at 2:14:55 am

OC White makes the largest selection.

Check in the B&H Catalog.

The type of arm you need is based on the weight of the mic and how you want to mount it.

My TLM 103 which is 450 grams is fine on the medium weight arm.

The Rode NT2 is almost TWICE as heavy. 800 plus grams. So you may need the triple sprung arm.

(I guess the folks at Neumann engineering didn't feel any extra weight to be necessary in order to achieve quality in mic design?)

YMMV.

GOod luck.

Return to posts index

Ty Ford
on Mar 17, 2010 at 1:11:06 pm

and the TLM 102 is only 9.2 oz (260g) and certainly VO worthy

O C White: http://www.ocwhite.com/html/microphone_arms.html

I know this shows a more complicated install, but getting the mic up to the face is absolutely critical. You might not need this heavy-duty a system to support the TLM 102, but still, getting it to the face is essential. If a number of different people will be using the mic, the OC White allows the mic to be easily placed for everyone.

Regards,

Ty Ford

Want better production audio?: Ty Ford's Audio Bootcamp Field Guide

Return to posts index

Zack Yoshyaro
on Mar 17, 2010 at 3:18:43 pm

I'd suggest a better mic all together. But that's just me..

(Gearslutz native)

Return to posts index

Pat McGowan
on Mar 17, 2010 at 5:07:51 pm

Jack, personally I like the Rode NT2 for most voice ranges, have been using this mic for 10 years.

Return to posts index

Pat McGowan
on Mar 17, 2010 at 5:08:44 pm

thanks all, anyone try this one?

http://www.heilsound.com/pro/products/pl2t/

Return to posts index

Ty Ford
on Mar 17, 2010 at 5:38:20 pm

Pat,

I have not, but Bob Heil makes some good products.

Nice man.

Regards,

Ty Ford

Return to posts index

Bill Davis
on Mar 17, 2010 at 10:58:39 pm

Perhaps the bottom line for all of this is to review the two basic realities of VO.

There are two major aspects of VO quality.

Performance and recording.

The microphone affects ONLY the recording.

Most excellent mics attempt to make ACCURATE recordings of the sounds being presented to them. While they may have "character" - especially when combined with the driving pre-amp and any other equipment in the recording chain - the central fact of VO recording is that no microphone will ever actually make someone who doesn't sound good - sound good. It won't make someone a better reader or performer. And all the processing in the world can't fix someone who splashes sibalent sounds or can't properly attack fricatives or enunciate vowels or who fails to know when it's important to glide over elides or to work hard to separate them in order to make inter-word editing easier.

Think about it this way. If you know someone who's an excellent singer. You can put up an SM-57 feeding a 1968 Wolensack reel to reel tape recorder and the end result will be a pleasing recording that is a joy to listen to.

Put ME singing into a Naumann M-149 through a Grace preamp - and I'll still scare all the cats out of the neighborhood.

Mics matter a bit. Talent ALWAYS matters more.

Return to posts index

Ty Ford
on Mar 17, 2010 at 11:06:15 pm

[Bill Davis] "Put ME singing into a Naumann M-149 through a Grace preamp - and I'll still scare all the cats out of the neighborhood"

Threats will get you nowhere in this forum, Mr. Davis. Keep it up and you will find logging on very difficult. :)

Regards,

Ty Ford

Return to posts index

Pat McGowan
on Mar 17, 2010 at 11:07:23 pm

thanks Bill, now what studio mount do you recommend?

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]