FORUMS: list search recent posts

.CDA to .MP3 help

COW Forums : Audio Professionals

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Jared Smith
.CDA to .MP3 help
on Mar 10, 2010 at 9:46:00 pm

Hey guys
Got a CD from a firm today. They said the CD would not play on their Windows computers at work. I put it in the mac here at home and it came up with an MP3 and a CDA as the contents. I am not sure if those are the same recordings in different formats or if they are separate. Nevertheless, I can't listen to the CDA of course, but after google searches I can't find a program on a mac that will convert it.
let me know
jared

Return to posts index

cowcowcowcowcow
Ty Ford
Re: .CDA to .MP3 help
on Mar 10, 2010 at 11:18:03 pm

Hello Jared and welcome to the Cow Audio Forum.

Depending on what order the tracks were burned, you may be able to put the CD in a CD player and play the CDA cut. Some of the newer CD players and many of the DVD players handle both CDA and MP3.

Itunes converts CDA to mp3.

Regards,

Ty Ford

Want better production audio?: Ty Ford's Audio Bootcamp Field Guide

Return to posts index

Richard Crowley
on Mar 11, 2010 at 3:13:31 am

Where did that disc come from? Who made it? How? For what purpose?

A disk with both "CDA" and MP3 files is not a legal Red-Book audio CD. It may be some sort of semi-standard hybrid that probably won't play everywhere.

Note that (at least in the PC world) "CDA" is not really a file type, it is a placeholder for the Red-Book audio CD track. Standard audio CDs can be "ripped" with a "ripping" program that will convert the audio CD track (which is called a "CDA file") into an actual computer file (like WAV or MP3, etc.)

Note that the epic conversion search engine at http://www.videohelp.com has more information about converting one file type to another (both audio and video) than you would probably ever want to know.

http://www.videohelp.com/convert Recommended.

Return to posts index

Ty Ford
on Mar 11, 2010 at 1:36:39 pm

Richard, et al,

I used to send out a hybrid CD that started with my VO tracks and continued with other non-audio files. Worked OK, from what I heard.

Regards,

Ty Ford

Want better production audio?: Ty Ford's Audio Bootcamp Field Guide

Return to posts index

Richard Crowley
on Mar 11, 2010 at 2:43:45 pm

Yes, there are valid hybrid CD formats, but you never know how people are trying to play them on the other end. I don't think that technology is necessarily the problem. User Error plays a big part. The more simple you can make something, the better chance you have of success at the far (uncontrollable) end.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]